Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to Vanphyre Send a message via AIM to Vanphyre
Spotted Watchman Goby - Suspect in Killing Cleaning Crew

For the last 6 months, I have been having troubles keeping any snails or crabs alive in the tank. Tank has been up for 2 or 2 1/2 years, and water quality checks out good. I couldn't figure out what was happening until I saw the Goby grab a crab and shoot across the tank and into his cave with it.

Is this normal??? LOL. I think not. I have probably lost 30+ crabs and 20+ snails and mysteriously there are no shells anywhere to be seen except for the supports for the Goby / Pistol Shrimp cave entrances.

Just curious what you guys think. Also, how the heck can I catch this guy without ripping all the rocks out of the tank? I hate to do this because it's a reef tank with corals and other growth all over the rocks.

Wish I could get this sucker on film! P.S. He is probably over 5 inches long.. pretty huge for a 46-gallon tank.... he's been eating well.

2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
RO/DI Water Changes 10% a week
Vanphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
hmmm i'm not positive but i don't think a goby has what it takes to get a hermit or snail out of its shell and make a snack of it. Most of the time when your CUC goes missing it is a crab that hitched in on your rock that you don't know about. They can be there for months with out you ever seeing them. Most only come out at night. I would get a flashlight and put some red plastic wrap over it and use that to watch to thank a couple hours after lights out. Or if you have some good moon lights that would work too.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
and if it is a crab, or even if you dont know, think about setting a trap, set a drinking glass tilted up against the rock and bait it. (im not sure what to use for bait, never learned that)((i used cooked shrimp once and caught 2 mini stars)).
Old 11-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks, I'm just not sure what is happening. That is A LOT of crabs and snails to vanish. Will try to watch at night time, this is so wierd.

It sucks, because getting hard to upkeep the tank when the cleaning crew keeps vanishing. I attached a pic of the goby as well...

Will try a trap too, maybe just put regular fish food in it? hmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goby 3 small.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	16248  
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-06/sp/index.php

Here is a link on getting fish out but I would not suspect the goby. Make sure that was not just a molt he had in his mouth.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

That makes me think, I have a 46gallon reef. I have snails that mysteriously die. I just bought some turbo's 2weeks ago 4 of them. And I don't really keep that many snails. 2 of the new turbo's shells are being used to block the cave for my goby/shrimp hangout. I have an orange spotted goby and pistol shrimp. They use the shells kind of like a door to their house. These Turbo's were ok for about a week and then just the shell. I have a crabless tank. Not 1 single crab at all. Just 3 damsels and corals. with an urchin I just got like a week ago.

By the way how do you like your 36" T5 Nova Extreme lighting is it the Pro version with 6bulbs Do you keep any SPS corals??

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I've seen my yellow watchman grab hermits and bring them into it's hole. But then they just crawl away. I never saw it try to take a snail.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:39 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Thats Crazy

HA! I just saw my Gobie Grab one of my Hermit and took him to his new home.... No pistol Shrimp.... How odd just after I read this thread.... This is so weird....

Holy Crap....
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Nova extreme is just the 4 bulb version. I am not the most knowledgable on how good it is, but everything seems to be doing just fine. I have a lot of the "button polyps" I think they are called, Yellow and Red. Also have a huge Frogspawn coral that my Clown fish thinks is an Anemone. Had Anemone's die on me, so love this thing as it doesn't need such special care and is just doing great. Other than that just random growths that I have no clue what they are.

That's too funny Tank2379, are you kidding? I might be on to a hidden conspiracy here, the Goby looks so innocent, but I'm gonna get to the bottom of it. Would be fun to dig out under the rocks and count how many shells him and the shrimp are stashing away.
2 Maxi-Jet 1200's
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanphyre View Post
That's too funny Tank2379, are you kidding?
I am not kidding it was like he was reading the thread with me and when I just went to check him out I see him sneaking quickly under the rock and spit him out.... lol... I am still in shock about it... Not that he grab a hermit.... Just about me reading this and him actually doing it,,,,LOL

Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaning, goby, spec

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com