Spray bar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
As much as I would have liked to do the closed loop, I just did not have the funds for it now. So, I went the spray bar route. I have a powerhead that puts out 1050 gph sitting up in the left back corner of the tank, on the overflow wall. A 4 ft piece of pvc runs across the back to the other side.
We drilled 12 holes in in, three aimed right across to the front of the tank,
3 aimed straight down into the liverock and three aimed toward the front, bottom of the tank. The amount of crud that it moved from hidden places was amazing, but now I think we need to add more holes as the water stream is a little harsh and is creating sand pits. The only thing I do not like about this is the white pvc stands out like a sore thumb in an all black tank.

Does anyone know of a "safe" paint that I could use to make this black?
The black pipe at the store is not rigid enough, it is more the rolled tubing.

Hara I hear ya on the white pipe. What I do is take the pipe of and get some PVC purple primer. You can just paint it with this. It will turn the pipe purple and the more coats the more dark purple it will go. It is a hot primer so all the nasties will evaporate and it wont hurt anything in the tank. Just make sure you do it outside or you will get a good buzz from it.

hope it helps

Mike

Thanks Mike! I will buy a can of it tomorrow. I guess this primer
can be found at Lowes?

Any hardware store should have it. Make sure you get the purple...it's also available in clear. You could also use PVC conduit (the gray stuff)...it might blend a little better. One thing to remember is that coraline has an affinity for PVC and the ugly white pipe will soon be covered in it. You might also glue (gel superglue) some green star polyps or something similar onto the pipe and let them cover it. No kidding about the buzz either...that primer is potent!

Back
Top Bottom