Spraying apartment complex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
HEy guys i need some help, the apartment complex i live in sprays and bomb :2gunfire: each apartment once a year. I told them i didn't have any problems and i have talked to neighbors and they said the same. I have tried to get out of this every-way i can imagine. I need to know how to protect my tank from this when they do this.

any ideas? :confused:

HELP! LOL

Honestly, the only way you really are going to be able to protect your fish to the full extent is to remove them from the apartment. There is no real way you are going to be able to seal up every hole and really be completely safe. Unless you are willing to take the chance and lose your fish then you really need to just take the fish out of the apartment.

drape it in plastic, duct tape around the bottom. Check and see if your renters insurance covers losses.

If Frogspawn is using a sump, should he or she also cover it and tape it up?

I'd cover the whole thing , right down the the base trim (or floor if it's hardwood). I'd be worried not just about the stuff getting in the tank but on any of the equipment that I might touch later and spread

Good point. I've painted around several tanks and always covered them this way, but fortunately have no experience with pest control and covering tanks.

Also if you are using air pumps for anything, turn them off temporarily so they dont suck in the harmful stuff.

first i would wrap the top or your tank with plastic food wrap just like u were sealing cookies in a container then drape plastic with duct tape, be carefull because y this is in progress there will be no chemical exchange from the water to air also the tank may heat up from not getting the same airflow it normally does. it has not happened to me but im in an apartment as well so i know its coming hope things go well for you

be sure to turn off your lights for the time it's covered in plastic. wouldn't want melted plastic on or in anything.
good point. i would seal it off like the CDC would lol i know how much money people send on there sw set up. how big is the tank. really cant just move it out for the day? i know its a lot of work but still....

thank u all for your replys. i guess the only think i can do is try. i spent the day yesterday buying the plastic to cover the tank. I wish i could move the tank out for the day but i have no where to move it too.

Will the chemicals used to spray the house get into the water? I will turn off all my pumps but i worry about the O^2 in the tank.

yes i do have renters insurance but i have no clue if it covers losses like this.. i will have to call my provider. great idea!

thanks again

Also be caareful when removing the covers after they spray. Because the poison will still be on the cover and migh splash of into the tank. So be careful when removing it.

Back
Top Bottom