Spraypainting a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Hello All,

I just got home with my new tank that I will be setting up in a week or so. I bought some spraypaint because I want to paint the back of the tank black.

Although this tank will not have water for another week or two, I am concerned about the paint as in fumes etc.

Has anybody ever done this? I was worried the fumes will permantely get in the tank, or the paint will break down over time. I may just be being overcautious but I spent a ton of money so I do not need mistakes that I can prevent.

I am going to wait to paint until I get opinions.

Thanks

Can you clarify? You just mean paint a cloth ot material to place behind?

I figured that water, saltcreep....can get in between. I think that is why many people paint. This may be a great 2nd option.

I just want to know if this is safe. I think I am going to tape off the entire top with newspaper well, and just go slow making sure none gets in the tank.

I have not done it but if you paint in and let it dry in a well ventelated area you should be fine in a week.

Thanks Lando. I have begun the painting. I taped off and selaed the top with layers of newspaper. I am waiting for the frist coat to dry.

Here it is...

This is the finished product. I am very impressed how nice it looks. I did not want a fake background where I want real corals. It looks a little smudgy in the pic because of fingerprints but it looks great with the black. Thanks for all your help.

This other shot is the tank full of all the new equip!!

1 more week for the fixture to come in and then I will order LR and let her go. I will be back for livestolk help.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom