Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Spring Break - How do you guys care for your tank during vacations?

Ok......so I'm stuck here and need the sage advice of you seasoned aquariasts. I'm going camping for 5 days and am trying to arrange for the feeding of my 55g reef tank. I have four damsels and a clown, along with assorted soft corals, SPS and LPS. I will be too far away to return for daily care. Any thoughts?

Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ask your neighbour to feed them in the morning and night, or a relative and put your lights on a timer, that's what I plan when I go for 5 days

Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I'd feedm heavier for the days before you go if you can't find any one to fish sit. How many gallons would you estimate evaporate in 5 days?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also have this same problem. I'm going on a 7 day trip in the beginning of june so this would he very helpful. I don't really have anyone that can come feed the fishes and I've also thought about automating everything, but my concern is about my kaudern's cardinal. He doesn't seem interested in eating pellets or flakes so it makes it kinda hard.

Didn't mean to steal the thread or anything
Old 04-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think they will be fine without food for 5 days, it's the evaporation that would concern me the most.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad
I'd feedm heavier for the days before you go if you can't find any one to fish sit. How many gallons would you estimate evaporate in 5 days?
I agree, prob feed a bit heavier and then put a automatic pellet feeder for the last few days, yeh and think about how much it evaporates I loose about 5-10 litres a week
Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-tom View Post
Ask your neighbour to feed them in the morning and night, or a relative and put your lights on a timer, that's what I plan when I go for 5 days
What fish do you have that require twice daily feeding?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Would lowering the SG be a good idea? If your tank is full and the SG is at like 1.021, the evaporation would slowly raise SG, but since its only 5 days, SG shouldn't rise too much? I guess it depends on how much your tank evaporates. I don't have very much evaporation
Old 04-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think five days will be okay. But I would feed them a little extra the days lead'n up to you're trip
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry I too am interested this...is it safe to keep the sg 1.021 like henry405 asked..and let it rise on its own... How much can it rise and still be safe?

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com