Sps and lps combo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. Just wondering if anyone had sucess with a crowded sps and lps tank. And if so what tips do you have.

Currently i have mainly softie, lps and 1 sps of red plating monti. And all are doing fine.

Below is a picture of the way I would like it sps one side lps the other. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400952027.960669.jpg

I have a bunch of sps, lps and softies (mostly zoos but gsp as well). My trick is my lps are on the sand and my sps are to one side and towards the top of my tank. All sps and lps are growing wonderfully.

I have a bunch of sps, lps and softies (mostly zoos but gsp as well). My trick is my lps are on the sand and my sps are to one side and towards the top of my tank. All sps and lps are growing wonderfully.

Hey have you a picture of your actual tank. And whats gps? I also have a full zoa garden aswell.

Hey have you a picture of your actual tank. And whats gps? I also have a full zoa garden aswell.

Just chiming in, sps and lps can be kept together successfully without much trouble, just make sure to be aware which can sting and which are more vulnerable. I have sps, lps, and softies right near each other (mostly smaller colonies) and they're fine, I just make sure to place them in different part so of the tank.

Bribo and Melosu both have a lot more sps than me, and from what I've seen of their tanks it's not so much a matter of having lps and sps on different sides (unless you want to), but more about making good judgements as to how far certain corals should bc from others.

Green star polyps and yeah I'll post it
H802GhV.jpg

I have a couple acros, a couple birdsnest varieties, and a bunch of montis

Yeah but will the sps develop with such a high nutrient system.
Because such high nutrients are needed for zoas and softies.

How could you balance such a thing. Not so much the stinging but more the flow is different the bacteria balance in the water is different and also the lighting is different.

Here is a picture of my current set up with just one sps amounts the lps and softies and it grows ok and steady.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400965402.992560.jpg

And how do you keep it low nutrient. Any additives or just water changes.

I have a lot of experience with everything except sps.

25% weekly wc, feed 2-3x a week, run an oversized skimmer. No dosing just wc. I throw in a little 2 part every now and then but usually it is not needed

I dose alk because within a week it drops from 11-7 it's outrageous. And I couldn't do a 25% wc a week max I can do is 10 just too expensive.

That's odd with mostly lps. Every tank differs though. I do 25% because I have a smaller tank. Most people do 10% which is fine.

Back
Top Bottom