Sps dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Trying to find space for a brute can, and what just use a float valve? Then should i have 2 canisters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what do you mean. why do you need a float valve for water changes?

use a brute trash bin to store water. when you do the water change, siphon or pump water out of the aquarium into a drain or separate bucket. then pump pre mixed salt water from the brute trash bin to the tank.

Well float valve to keep it full all the time? And dont i need one salt and one fresh water?

well we were talking about water changes. you don't want to top off with the saltwater though? look into auto top off systems for what your talking about

I have a auto top off but id need a place to store freshwater to then? Right? Or just have a saltwater batch and make fresh as i need it as i do now?

if you have an ATO then you must have a holding container for the fresh water or it's not ATO.

Yes but its under my tank and i fill it up everytime its empty, i dont have a brute can or something that holds a bunch of gallons of ro water

well just keep that fill. the brute bin is usually used to hold saltwater

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1413985860.893958.jpgthats what i have for auto top off its about 5-6 gallons

I would suggest having two cans, as you said: one for salted water and the other fresh. This way if you have a mishap or want to do a water change just for the heck of it, you are ready to go, and don't have to wait for the R.O. to make 20-30 gallons of water.
As far as the ratio of water changes, you are using oceanic salt as stated- notoriously low on alk. (I don't ever get a reading of 8 btw) So even if your in tank alk is used up and at a dangerous level, and you do a 50% water change, it's not going to return it to 8.
Get a salifert alkalinity kit. they are easy to use and a lot more accurate than API. Test every couple days for a couple weeks and then you'll know how your alk fluctuates.

Where can i get one of those test kits? I dont think my lfs sells those

So if i got the magnesium, Alk, and Cal test kits from BRS they come out to $80. Is it worth it? any other good ones? also any suggestions on salt brands that are good or most stable or like have best levels? thinking of switching from oceanic since it has high cal and lower alk

What about red sea test kits? I think my lfs carriers those and would test using those if asked

You don't need mag and calcium IMO. Just get the alk kit. You don't have enough coral to use up calcium or mag. Salifert test kits are 10 times better than API. I'm not a fan of red sea kits, but some like them.
IMO, don't switch from Oceanic. It's a fine salt. The only thing is the alk. Other salts have their issues. None of them are totally awesome ....at least not lately. Years ago I used to run large coral tanks on just water changes, but it seems like that's a thing of the past.
No way around good quality test kits any more :(

Well what would you say is the best and most accurate test kit? If im going to buy it might as well buy the best. Learned the hard way that buying cheap in this hobby is bad, from deaths to redoing my whole tank

I was thinking of the henna checkers for a long time bit wasnt sure how good they are

Also made a DIY frag rack, how do i know if i should go up or down with them?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414011181.472727.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414011196.570467.jpg

So if i wanted to clear up my water more would it be better to run my carbon in a reactor? I have it by my socks right now in a bag, but i only have one reactor and it running gfo, should i take out the gfo and run my tank gfo less for now? And also did my first 5 gallon water change today

Back
Top Bottom