SPS with 4x39T5HO; 30gl tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it possible to keep SPS and/or LPS in a 30gl tank with 4t5ho lights? I think is 18inch deep

Lps-yes! That would work the majority of lps

Sps- ehh i dont think so. I think youd need a nice skimmer for water quality, and a better light..

Someone correct me if im wrong please

It wouldn't work if I kept the SPS in the top half or should I really just spring for the 6 lights

And yes, I will either be using a hydro slim skim or an aqua c remora HOB

i'm sure with quality lamps and single tube reflectors you should be able to in closer to the top, which SPS are you lookign at keeping?

Not 100% on individual names but a few blue and red acropora with LPS below

My fixture would probably be aquatic life or marine land b/c neither of my lfs have TEK fixtures

I've got an aquaticlife 4-bulb with ATI bulbs and I'm having mixed success. I'm currently keeping a Humilis, Monti cap, another branching green acro, sour apple birdsnest, and light blue bushy acro. Everyone is doing great except the bushy acro is bleaching on one half. I haven't figured out if its due to too much or lack of light, or not enough flow at this point.

*Note: All of my SPS are in the top 1/3 - 1/4 of my tank.

Acropora is the highest light sps. Montipora would be a lot easier. Some acropora may work in the top 1/3 of the tank.
Growth may be slower, and the corals may not be as colorful as they would be under stronger light, but I don't think they will die.

Okay, so if I wait a little longer and go for the 6light I should be fine? Instead of like 5.2 wpg it like around 7.5wpg

Watts per gallon is not a good rule of thumb in this application. there are other variables, like tank dimensions and lighting efficiency to think about. I would think you could keep whatever you wanted under a 6 lamp t5ho fixture over a 30 gallon tank.

Okay thanks... I see on ur profile I'm not that far away from you... Is there any lfs that give me the best deal, I only know of.. The fish factory and the hidden reef

Well, I think The Hidden Reef is the cheapest for dry goods. As for corals and fish....Pets plus has some sales from time to time and their prices then aren't too bad. They are located right on Business Route 1.
I don't know who's got the best deals though. I would suggest you hit all three places and then make your decision on a purchase.
I was able to haggle a bit with the pets plus manager on a piece of coral also.

Okay, I'll make sure to check them out... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom