Squid or octopus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MineShaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm thinking about getting a squid or a octopus but the thing is I could only get around a thirty gallon cylinder aquarium what would be a Good squid or a octopus to put it in thanks

Sent from the crayfish lover Mine Shaker

What research have you done regarding the care, housing, dietary and water requirements of squid and octopi (aside from here)?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neither 70g or bigger is recommended for these creatures,
How long have you been with saltwater? the reason I asked how long you've been with salt water is because these octopus get big and if your not in it for the long hall avoid them , they are also classified as expert only , knowing how to handle these creatures is a must as they can latch on with a boa's strength and not let go and have a strong bite that is venom-is
octopus require a large tank lots of rocks extremely good filtration as they are very dirty eaters and need constant water movement, octopus require a tank with a tight lid that locks as they are the worlds best escape artists , all rocks need to be secured and they require low lighting
octopus can range in size they start out small and grow at a rapid rate, they start out around 2 inch and can get up to 4 ft in size some are known to get 16ft to 30 ft

When discovered, an octopus will release a cloud of black ink to obscure its attacker's view, giving it time to swim away. The ink even contains a substance that dulls a predator's sense of smell, making the fleeing octopus harder to track. Fast swimmers, they can jet forward by expelling water through their mantles. And their soft bodies can squeeze into impossibly small cracks and crevices where predators can't follow.
If all else fails, an octopus can lose an arm to escape a predator's grasp and regrow it later with no permanent damage. They also have beak like jaws that can deliver a nasty bite, and venomous saliva, used mainly for subduing prey.
Considered the most intelligent of all invertebrates, the common octopus is found in the tropical and temperate waters of the world’s oceans. They can grow to about 4.3 feet (1.3 meters) in length and weigh up to 22 pounds (10 kilograms), although averages are much smaller. They prey on crabs, crayfish, and mollusks, and will sometimes use their ink to disorient their victims before attacking. they require live foods 1lb grouper are the best feeders for these guys .
you need to remember these creatures are very expensive to feed , and get big fast

Last edited:
From what I've heard, even if you take great care of them octopi have a short life span. Do you want to spend $80 for a creature that will last for a year to 1 1/2 years (now that I think of if, I pay that in a month for cable). And I've never heard of anyone keeping squid. One of the few sites I've found that sell octopi recommend a 70 gal tank minimum. Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Octopus - Assorted

survival rate depends on conditions both water and food wise along with a big tank so it don't feel confined they can live in captivity from a year up to 15 years , in the wild some cane get up to 60 years I"m not sure how long is the oldest but it's got to be in the 100 year mark as they are considered prehistoric

What research have you done regarding the care, housing, dietary and water requirements of squid and octopi (aside from here)?

A little I'm just thinking about it I am new too saltwater and have only kept freshwater

A little I'm just thinking about it I am new too saltwater and have only kept freshwater

I would suggest you wait that's a big jump for someone who has no saltwater experience

you will have plenty of time to encounter that but why not start easy and work your way up learn the basics , than start climbing to the next level ,
Rome wasn't built in a day everything takes time , ask questions and you will get the answer , success comes from patients from patients comes a nice tank

I would suggest you wait that's a big jump for someone who has no saltwater experience

you will have plenty of time to encounter that but why not start easy and work your way up learn the basics , than start climbing to the next level ,
Rome wasn't built in a day everything takes time , ask questions and you will get the answer , success comes from patients from patients comes a nice tank

Then what should I start of with

you have a 30g cylinder is that a hex ? or just all round I'm trying to get a visual in my head ,

start with a nano tank there fun and you learn as you go
you could go 1 of 3 ways
first : there's a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock)
Second : there's a Reef
Third : is a macro tank that's macro Algae it's the saltwater version of a planted tank

once you decide what road you want to go we can help you get your list ready
and go from there ,

From what I've read even the care for the smaller Cephalopoda like some cuttlefish is quite daunting. Most will never eat frozen food and eat a crazy amount of live mysis shrimp. Just to keep up with the appetite you would a 40g breeder just to raise the shrimp, in addition to the display aquarium.

From what I've read even the care for the smaller Cephalopoda like some cuttlefish is quite daunting. Most will never eat frozen food and eat a crazy amount of live mysis shrimp. Just to keep up with the appetite you would a 40g breeder just to raise the shrimp, in addition to the display aquarium.

Mysiss wouldn't even curve octopus appetite that's like trying to feed a mandarin pods , they eat them up faster than they can reproduce , everything about there eating was gone over a few posts back,

Back
Top Bottom