st*pid questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
As I was looking at some tank pics I noticed that in many of them the tanks have some algae? growth all over the back of the tanks, are we supposed to leave that stuff there? Just wondering for future purposes...

Also, I just ordered 45 Lbs. of pre-cured live rock which I'm planning to fully cured in my 55 gal. (yes it's empty except for saltwater) and have another 40Lbs or so in another tank that are cured. My question is, when the new rock arrives, should I also add the rest of my other rock or wait until the new batch is cure before adding the old ones?

thanks in advance for you advice :D

your probably better off curing the new rock and waiting to add the other stuff. If the un-cured rock has a lot of die-off it might raise the ammonia and kill much of the life on/in your cured rock. just my 2 cents se what others have to say.

I think most leave algae on the back of their tank just because its hard to remove
and it does not inhibit viewing. If its coralline people just like the color.

Most people will leave the coraline on the back of the tank....me personally dont like the looks of it but most people will leave it. And it sucks to clean that off too. I would add all the rock at the same time. Since your going to get an ammonia spike anyways. Pretty much every new tank setup goes through an ammonia spike just add it all at once and cure it all at the same time alot less hassle just make sure you wait a month or so for your tank to cycle. HTH

I will say this about the coralline algae..It seems that dead or dying coralline is food for hair algae. I noticed that in spots where I could not get the coralline scraped off all the way, it would start to bleach and over that hair algae would grow. Suffice to say if we carry that out and you scrape algae off (coralline) and do not make an effort to capture it or contain it, then you are feeding the nuisance algae. I had never really noticed this b4, but as I did a massive clean up on my tank last month, I noticed that on the glass the hair algae is growing back remarkably well where the coralline bleached.

GL!

Back
Top Bottom