Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

awesome tank and sorry for your lost ...I hope everything works out for you :/

Old 05-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you topping off (replacing evaporated water) regularly (daily) with RO water?

I've done several very large water changes on a 10g (probably about 70% or more) and didn't have any problems.

How's the gas exchange.. is the surface water agitated or getting good flow from your filter?

Any other flow besides the filter?

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorFish View Post
awesome tank and sorry for your lost ...I hope everything works out for you :/
Thank you so much
Old 05-09-2012, 01:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
Are you topping off (replacing evaporated water) regularly (daily) with RO water?

I've done several very large water changes on a 10g (probably about 70% or more) and didn't have any problems.

How's the gas exchange.. is the surface water agitated or getting good flow from your filter?

Any other flow besides the filter?
I usually measure the salinity and top it up if needed, I didn't want it to be over diluted.
It seems to me that the surface is getting a good flow that always moves the surface, however, sometimes I see an oily film on the surface.
I have no other flow besides the filter.
Could you provide some ideas, or maybe pictures about your 10g tank that I can benefit from?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds to me like a few problems you might have are:

* Oxygen saturation
Fish need to breathe air. If you're not getting good gas exchange (carbon dioxide releases from the surface of the water and allows oxygen in) your fish may suffocate.

* Flow
Corals need it (don't know about fish). Flow will improve the health of everything in your tank. It will also help agitate the surface water to allow for gas exchange

* Top offs
Mark a line somehow where the water level is. Marker, tape, whatever. Every day add RO or RO/DI water (or dechlorinated tap water if you must for some reason - ammonia in tap water will kill fish and corals) back up to the line to replace water that has evaporated. In a ten gallon tank this can mean a huge difference in salinity. Big fluctuations in salinity will kill fish and corals. Salt doesn't evaporate, only water does. So when evaporation occurs, the water has higher salnity. Replacing the evaporated water with pure water brings the salinity back to normal. Doing it daily prevents huge fluctuations.

I would get a powerhead to move water around and agitate the surface of the water. I'm not saying it will solve the particular problem you are having (it could always be something else) but it will improve the overall health of your system.

I have two koralia 240gph powerheads in my 10 gallon and a 100gph return line from the sump. This is a lot of flow, you could get away with way less.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy View Post
Sounds to me like a few problems you might have are:

* Oxygen saturation
Fish need to breathe air. If you're not getting good gas exchange (carbon dioxide releases from the surface of the water and allows oxygen in) your fish may suffocate.

* Flow
Corals need it (don't know about fish). Flow will improve the health of everything in your tank. It will also help agitate the surface water to allow for gas exchange

* Top offs
Mark a line somehow where the water level is. Marker, tape, whatever. Every day add RO or RO/DI water (or dechlorinated tap water if you must for some reason - ammonia in tap water will kill fish and corals) back up to the line to replace water that has evaporated. In a ten gallon tank this can mean a huge difference in salinity. Big fluctuations in salinity will kill fish and corals. Salt doesn't evaporate, only water does. So when evaporation occurs, the water has higher salnity. Replacing the evaporated water with pure water brings the salinity back to normal. Doing it daily prevents huge fluctuations.

I would get a powerhead to move water around and agitate the surface of the water. I'm not saying it will solve the particular problem you are having (it could always be something else) but it will improve the overall health of your system.

I have two koralia 240gph powerheads in my 10 gallon and a 100gph return line from the sump. This is a lot of flow, you could get away with way less.
Thanks Scott,
I will follow your advice in terms of the water top ups, but I don't have an RO system, I only use the normal drinking water filter which I think is a 2-stage filter, but I treat it with aquarium water conditioner. (Do you think this is a problem?!!)
Would you think the power head will solve the oxygen saturation problem as well?
I can see that you support your 10g by a sump system, any suggestions for the design? especially that I'm putting the tank in decorative spot in the living room.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as the conditioner removes chlorine and chloramines it is fine. SeaChem's Prime is a good water conditioner. With tap water you may experience problems with algae, although you also may not.

The powerhead could solve the problem if you have it close enough to the surface that it ripples the surface water (or aimed towards the surface). Get a koralia 240 or two you won't regret it.

I don't think many people run a sump on their 10 gallon system. I just did it because I wanted the challenge of doing it, lol. But if you do want a sump, a 3 chamber design is pretty standard. Water intake section, refugium, water output section.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #18

Thanks Scott,

I will try those tips and will post the result. For now I'll keep the tank without fish for a couple of weeks (as my boxfish died last night), and will do a couple of water changes, before I get a new fish. I think this time I'll just keep 2 small clowns.
Any other suggestions on fish for this 10g tank?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Keep the tank cycled while it is fishless. Add a small pinch of fish food every few days and let it rot in there.

A 10 gallon is way too small for a box fish or clown fish. Try looking at a few nano fish: Nano Fish

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

if you want clowns I would upgrade to 29g. It is recommended to have a 30g for a pair.
Clowns fish grow too large and are much to active for a 10g sadly. Their are some good fish in the link below for fish that would do ok in your tank. you need to keep in mind open water/active fish typically don't do good in a 10g tank.

take a look at the link these are good fish for a tank that size.
Nano Fish

Tags
aquarium, 10 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« SW build | Skimmer »