Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stalled Cycle?? Help!

Ok, quick recap, i have another thread going on in the FOWLR section but ill refresh everyone just to make it easier.

7/30/12 i started my cycle on my 16G BowFront

15lbs of Live Rock
Live Sand

I added a piece of raw shrimp that night and let it do its thing, after a few days of testing, my numbers kept climbing up a little and then kind of stayed at certain levels. (Ammo .25ppm-.50ppm, Nitrite .25ppm-.50ppm and Nitrate reaching almost 10ppm.)

After the first piece of shrimp was almost completely dissolved, i added 2 more small pieces to maintain constant ammonia.

Sunday night(8/12) i tested my parameters and they were
HR ph 8.0
Ammo 0-.25ppm
Nitrite .25ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm

Yesterday and today my parameters were
HR pH 8.0
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I'm using the API Master Saltwater Test Kit, havent done any water changes, only topped off the water once with straight RO water... anyone have any clue as to why my numbers are at 0 now??? (Sorry about the long post)

Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

oh and Salinity is 1.025

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

No one has any idea??
Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hi Dan,
Add a lot more shrimp in a net or filter bag wait a 1/2 day then start testing for amonia you want to get it over 1 ppm if the amonia goes over 4 ppm remove the shrimp put in a ziplock bag label do not eat and freeze. when the amonia gets under 1 ppm add the shrimp again. start testing for nitrites they should be going up and up then drop almost all at once. at this point do a big water change, have a beer, go buy a fish.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfish4
Hi Dan,
Add a lot more shrimp in a net or filter bag wait a 1/2 day then start testing for amonia you want to get it over 1 ppm if the amonia goes over 4 ppm remove the shrimp put in a ziplock bag label do not eat and freeze. when the amonia gets under 1 ppm add the shrimp again. start testing for nitrites they should be going up and up then drop almost all at once. at this point do a big water change, have a beer, go buy a fish.
Well that's kinda what happened now except my ammonia never got past .50ppm. But everything dropped at once even my nitrAtes.

Basically I have to start all over??
Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180
No one has any idea??
Dan im afraid the above test results are impossible. Im guessing your test kit is off by the fact you have 0 nitrates. Nitrates should be very elevated, they do not disappear for no reason.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Dan im afraid the above test results are impossible. Im guessing your test kit is off by the fact you have 0 nitrates. Nitrates should be very elevated, they do not disappear for no reason.
Trust me I know that, which is why I'm confused.. I used my a brand new API SW test kit. I have pictures of the actually results on my other thread if ya wanna check em out. One person said he thought I had nitrAtes but then I tested the following day and there was def 0 nitrates
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Even 1ppm ammonia is too low. Aim for 3ppm-4ppm. Then when it goes to zero bring it back up. Then when it comes back down you're done. A water change will lower the nitrates and you can add 1 fish and a couple coral. Add a fish at most every 2 weeks.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180 View Post
Well that's kinda what happened now except my ammonia never got past .50ppm. But everything dropped at once even my nitrAtes.

Basically I have to start all over??
Yes by your low level of amonia you wasted some time. you may have all the types of bacteria you need but your populations may be too small to show good results in testing. get your amoina up over 1ppm.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanS180

Trust me I know that, which is why I'm confused.. I used my a brand new API SW test kit. I have pictures of the actually results on my other thread if ya wanna check em out. One person said he thought I had nitrAtes but then I tested the following day and there was def 0 nitrates
API is notoriously inaccurate so best to have your water tested against another kit to be sure of the levels.

Dosing ammonia right now would be what i would do. Ramp your ammonia back up and let it do its thing.

Tags
cycle, led, stall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com