Stand alone skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squints

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just starting a 60 gal fish only sw tank w/o a sump. The tank I purchased at a local shop has a 1.75" glass lip that goes around all edges along the top of the tank. This has made finding a skimmer challenging. It was recently suggested that I consider a stand alone skimmer but I'm not sure what would work best for my setup. I have an eheim Ecco pro easy 80 filter. Any suggestions? I'm open to hob also but haven't found one that will clear the glass lip...thanks!

Update - am realizing I can't use a stand alone without a sump...need an HOB that will fit over the 1.75" rim? Know of any?

Can you take a pic of the top of the tank? Just so i can get a better idea of the rim. I use a tunze skimmer which sits inside the tank, which may work for you?

Here you go - the water is cloudy because I was leveling off the sand but I think you can still see well. The rim on the front and the back of the tank is about 1/4 from the top and sticks out 1.5" from the side if you count the actual black rim of the tank itself then it's closer to 1.75". On the side there is a glass ledge that sits about 3" from the top of the tank.

Thanks for looking at this!

image-1089421749.jpg

Hmm, check out the tunze 9006 it may work. It's an internal skimmer. I have it in my 55g but I don't have a lip on the top of my tank. It does look like there is about 2" from the side of the glass to the skimmer cup tho. Worth a look...

Check out the Reef Octopus BH1000... Mine looks like there's enough room to clear the lip... You could even get some PVC and extend the intake and return to accommodate...??

image-3354174426.jpg

Attachments

• image-1945770801.jpg
    image-1945770801.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom