Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-26-2003, 06:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
starfish and crabs

will my hermit crabs bother either starfish or some type of shrimp? i'd actually like to get some of both but i'm wondering if the crabs will bother them.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #2

Is there any way that you could re-phrase the question being more specific about the species? The question is too broad, as there are many species of both...
Old 09-26-2003, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Smonkey15 Send a message via MSN to Smonkey15
i guess i am just wondering what combinations would work and if there are any that absolutly do not. i think i have blue leg hermit crabs. at the store they just said hermit crabs but they a bluish color to them.

Figuring out how to keep my fish healthy is like the pethagorean theorem; there is no solution.
Smonkey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 02:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
I'm going to find out the asnwer to your question today. I think I'm gonna return my big hermit crabs and just keep the little cleaner ones when I go to my LFS to get a starfish or 2.
Old 10-08-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a serpent star and about 12 blue legged hermits. they all get along very well together, exept during feeding time. you see, my starfish knows the time and exact location where food falls from the sky, as do the hermits. anyway, when the starfish spreads his legs and grabs the falling food and conveyer belts the pieces from its legs to its belly, a few hermits jump on the starfish and try to grab the food before it gets to the starfishs' belly. its quite a funny sight to see everyday, im sure my starfish doesn't find it so amusing, but he doesnt get to see it from my point of view. Never have i seen the hermits hurt the starfish during feedings or not and vise versa. They all seem to get along just fine. I dont know if this helps
Lawnmower Blenny -(Lenny), Talbot's Damsel -(Dottie), Tomato Clown -(Ketchup)
Nameless fish include, Neon Blenny, Singapore Shrimp Goby, Yellow Tail Damsel, 1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimps, purple pseudochromis.
gfishguy56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not sure if this helps....but in my 75 gallon I keep blue leg hermits, red hermits, peppermint shrimp, CBS shrimp, and camel shrimp. No problems whatsover.
Travis
Old 10-12-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have about 20 little red/blue leg hermits and have had star fish in there for a week or 2 now with no problems, also have a coulple emerald crabs and snails. Nothing seems to be killing each other......for now.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

UPDATE: My one starfish, not sure what kind red/white body with blue tips on the fingers must have been attacked. He is missing a part of two of his fingers. Could have been small red/blue leg hermits or my emerald crabs?

Tags
crab, crabs, starfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com