starfish and crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smonkey15

Aquarium Advice Freak
will my hermit crabs bother either starfish or some type of shrimp? i'd actually like to get some of both but i'm wondering if the crabs will bother them.

Is there any way that you could re-phrase the question being more specific about the species? The question is too broad, as there are many species of both...

i guess i am just wondering what combinations would work and if there are any that absolutly do not. i think i have blue leg hermit crabs. at the store they just said hermit crabs but they a bluish color to them.

I'm going to find out the asnwer to your question today. I think I'm gonna return my big hermit crabs and just keep the little cleaner ones when I go to my LFS to get a starfish or 2.

I have a serpent star and about 12 blue legged hermits. they all get along very well together, exept during feeding time. you see, my starfish knows the time and exact location where food falls from the sky, as do the hermits. anyway, when the starfish spreads his legs and grabs the falling food and conveyer belts the pieces from its legs to its belly, a few hermits jump on the starfish and try to grab the food before it gets to the starfishs' belly. its quite a funny sight to see everyday, im sure my starfish doesn't find it so amusing, but he doesnt get to see it from my point of view. Never have i seen the hermits hurt the starfish during feedings or not and vise versa. They all seem to get along just fine. I dont know if this helps

Not sure if this helps....but in my 75 gallon I keep blue leg hermits, red hermits, peppermint shrimp, CBS shrimp, and camel shrimp. No problems whatsover.
Travis

I have about 20 little red/blue leg hermits and have had star fish in there for a week or 2 now with no problems, also have a coulple emerald crabs and snails. Nothing seems to be killing each other......for now.

UPDATE: My one starfish, not sure what kind red/white body with blue tips on the fingers must have been attacked. He is missing a part of two of his fingers. Could have been small red/blue leg hermits or my emerald crabs?

Back
Top Bottom