Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-23-2011, 12:52 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think we all need to be a little easier on Tom. Yes, he has made some fairly dire mistakes in setting up his tank. But chastising him isn't going to rectify the situation or encourage him to become a more knowledgeable aquarist. Instead we should be offering guidance, and solutions.

First off Tom, congrats on your new setup. It looks like a good and I can't wait to see how it progresses. Although I would like to address the issue of your ammonia. 4ppm is well over a safe amount, and is unnecessary to complete your cycle. Doing a fish-in cycle is a lot of work. You may want to return your tank inhabitants to the local fish store and continue with a fishless cycle. It's slot easier and faster than doing a fish-in cycle.

If you do intend to continue with your fish-in cycle you are going to need to do your best to maintain an ammonia level of 0ppm. I know this sounds counterintuitive because you need ammonia to grow nitrifying bacteria, but as long as there are fish in the tank. There will be enough ammonia to start a colony of bacteria.

If you are getting an ammonia reading of 4ppm after only 24 hours you are going to need to lighten you bioload by removing some of the inhabitants of the tank.

I'm a freshwater aquarist so I can't really comment on your stocking, but from what others have said it seems that your crab and puffer are not meant to be kept in a salt water tank. So they should be the first to go back to the store.

Personally I think your best option is to completely remove all inhabitants of the tank and do a fishless cycle. This will allow you time to research what you want to keep in your tank and what you will needs to do to make that happen. A fishless cycle is also a good time to work on your aquascape. It's a lot easier to play around with different aquascsping ideas when the tank isn't full of fish.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged just because you've hit a few road bumps.

hal.lc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow... Reading my post again, I AM sorry. I didn't realize how mean that sounded, but please next time make sure to learn from your mistakes?

Damon Salvatore is awesome. Enough said.

Fish are friends, not food!
Bettababe1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The only reason i feel "chastising" was necessary was because he responded as if he didn't care what we thought when he was given solid advice.

I don't feel as anyone has been mean yet either, just honest and straight-forward. Besides X's joke about being a fish whisperer it's all been advice.
jenatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
Very soon to be adding livestock will be very surprised if you livestock last!! U are better of waiting for the tank to cycle.. It's cruel.
nikki_pip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have to agree on what everyone has been saying. Remove the inhabitants, letting the tank cycle on its own, slowly adding livestock back into the tank after you have researched the livestock will be the best route you can go.
Good luck with your new tank

Limpits Reef is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com