Start of my 20 Gallon Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was going to hold off on this, but after yesterday I cant lol

I found a 55g on CL that use to be a RF, It came with the stand, tank, a Powerhead, a filter he was using as a powerhead, and off of this rubble! Theres easily 10 pounds of just rubble.

So with the 4 pieces of Base rock I have, and the rubble. I have ordered 40 pounds of Sand(a lot more than I need for a 20 but extra is always nice.

The Base rock is 20 pounds.

I ordered this light system, Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting a few members here have suggested this light in other posts. I think it will be a great light for a FOWLR.

I have a 250gph power head that was in the 55. I can use, Thinking about getting another 250ish PH.

Fish Wise, I think

2 Scissor Tail Gobies.
1 Blacksail Blenny
and a CUC.

one day I might put some Low Light corals in it but for the near future it will be a FOWLR tank.

Will keep everyone updated

Attachments

• Picture 035.jpg
    Picture 035.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 040.jpg
    Picture 040.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 66
Cool setup! IMO I'd get bored after a while of just looking at 3 fish (coral is where it's at haha). Keep us updated!

Ups and FedEx came by today to bring me goodies!!

Light System and Sand came today.

40lbs of Sand

and the Odyssea Light system

Heres my new question, the light will give me roughly 3.6 Watts per gallon, if I was just doing 20 gallons of water, which we all know this tank will be around 15 or so. I should be able to do Med light corals? Ive got my coral planed out, some zoa LPS softies, shrooms, nothing that doesnt need more then 3WPG. So the light should be ok right? just move them up and down the rocks?

Attachments

• Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 66
  • Picture 042.jpg
    Picture 042.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 64
Seems fine, those are easy beginner corals. Make sure to photo acclimate them first though. If you add them in the tank and put them in the places that you want them to be in, they can get too much light and bleach out and die. First add them to the sand bed then every week add them 2-3 inches higher unless they require low lighting and you want to keep them on the sand bed. The test of impatience, the cycle, now awaits you!

Thanks, makes sense to start them on the sand bed 1st then move them.

Im going to try and get it up and running this weekend, I still need 1 more powerhead.

Im also thinking about changing the tank from the 20g High to the 20 gallon long I had bough for the 75g tank I have.

I think the 20L would be a little better? more of a foot print for everything?

Back
Top Bottom