Start of my first saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's the issue Benamayer my ammoina is still at 4ppm

Just give it time, it will drop :cool: Obviously your bacteria is doing its job if nitrates are that high. Did you do the shrimp method? And if so, have you removed the shrimp?

Yes added 2 shrimp and a 1.5lbs piece of lr, the lr alone wasn't doing anything so I added the shrimp and no the shrimp are still in the tank

Yes added 2 shrimp and a 1.5lbs piece of lr, the lr alone wasn't doing anything so I added the shrimp and no the shrimp are still in the tank

I never did the shrimp method, but I would imagine you can remove it... See how long it takes for the ammonia to get to 0. I would guess a couple days, and then you should be cycled.

I think I will just wait a few days and see what happens, last thing I want is to kill off the bacteria I have. To not want to start over again

Where are your Trites? I would wait till your trates are over what your tester can read, do a 50% pwc and check your parameters. This will assure the second part of your bb (the nitrifing bacteria) are strong enough. The process of nitrite to nitrate takes the longest. If after your water change your ammonia is still around 4 and you can read nitrite and nitrate levels on your tester you can pull the shrimp at that time. If ammonia is under 4 leave the shrimp in till it reaches 4. Then pull them. Check everything 24hrs later and if ammonia and Trites are 0 with lots of trates your cycled. Then its time for a big water change 75% or so to remove as much trates as possible, Under 20. Sorry for being long winded.

So you are processing nitrite as fast as you are processing ammonia. That's great! I'd give it another day to see how much higher your trates get. Between 40 and 80 today. Then proceed with your water change. Wait till ammo is 4 then pull the shrimp. You should process ammo and Trites in 24hrs. I would say its cycled now but would give it another day to be absolutely sure.

So you are processing nitrite as fast as you are processing ammonia. That's great! I'd give it another day to see how much higher your trates get. Between 40 and 80 today. Then proceed with your water change. Wait till ammo is 4 then pull the shrimp. You should process ammo and Trites in 24hrs. I would say its cycled now but would give it another day to be absolutely sure.

Fully agree with this FWIW...

Just ran an ammo test and ammo has dropped to between 1 and 2 ! thats a 2 ppm drop from 12 hours ago.
Going to run another trate test

I think I'd do a 50% water change, and see if NH4 and NO2 hit 0 in the next 2 days. If NO3 gets too high it can stall the cycle.

You have about another day or so for your cycle
my tank finished in 9 days (y)
I still had trates present did a 25% WC checked next day and everything is perfect
I am getting ready to order my CUC
for this tank I want scarlet's and electric blue hermits
the reason for this I found there just not as aggressive as the smaller hermits on the snails
also looking at nerites , turbos,nasserites snails and a few others

yes i'm following you tread (y)

So wanted to buy this. But fought the urge

Attachments

• image-1994900105.jpg
    image-1994900105.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 95
It's not easy fighting the urge. Lol, be patient and do it right. You'll thank yourself when everything is healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom