Start Smart......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds to me like that's the balance you want. Low ammonia and nitrites are a good thing. When you get to nitrates, I think that's the stopping point. The microorganisms have done their job and that's why you do your water changes to remove the excess. I think nitrates are the preferred state as ammonia is a quick killer.

ok but I just got back to school (where the 8 and 14 gallon are) and we checked everything in both of our tanks. The 8 gallon parameters were dammonia about .5-1, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 80. Then in the 14 gallon tank ammonia about .5, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 5. Do you think we need to do a water change in both of them and if so how much of a water change? PS the 8 gallon has no fish in it but the 14 gallon has 1 damsel in it.

ok but I just got back to school (where the 8 and 14 gallon are) and we checked everything in both of our tanks. The 8 gallon parameters were dammonia about .5-1, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 80. Then in the 14 gallon tank ammonia about .5, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 5. Do you think we need to do a water change in both of them and if so how much of a water change? PS the 8 gallon has no fish in it but the 14 gallon has 1 damsel in it.

The 14 gallon sounds like it should be ok without a water change. The 8 gallon I would change anywhere from 25% to 50% of the water before you add fish. You'll need to monitor the water and see how long it takes for the levels to get high like that and try to do regular water changes on a schedule to keep the nitrates under control. Small tanks are a lot higher maintenance.

Ok but this morning when we woke up the damsel had died. All the water was still the same as what is was last night at ammonia .5, nitrite was 0, and nitrate from about 3-5.

Here's what you want: Ammonia and Nitrite at 0 or very close to 0 and Nitrates should be rising higher (like in your 14 gallon). I can only guess that the ammonia or nitrite wasn't being converted quickly enough and it killed the fish. Sorry to hear about it but this page breaks it down for you very simply. I would use it as a guide.

The Basics of Cycling in an Aquarium

Ummmm.... Sorry you are late lol he is on his way to the ocean.....

Ok I just did a 50% water change in the 8 gallon and waited 2 hours and checked everything and it is now ammonia was about .25, nitrite was 0, and nitrate was about 10-20. Do you think I need to add an ammonia source to it or just let it sit? And if I do need to add a source is it ok to use Ace Hardware Ammonia for Janitorial Use?

According to the stuff you used, I don't think you need an ammonia source, but I would not trust that that is the case. That's why I recommended the fish.

So do you think we need to put the ammonia in it just to see if it will convert it to nitrate?

If you added some pure ammonia and it converted it, you would know for sure that you have a substantial bacteria colony in the tank, yes.

What we have is called "Ammonia janitorial Strength Formula" by Ace Hardware. It says it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide. Will this work?

Ok sorry its been so long but here we go. The 14 gallon is cycled. We put 5ppm of ammonia in it and it turned it into nirtate within 24 hours. Then we had thought the 8 gallon had cycled so we did the same thing BUT it did not change anything. Ph 8.4 ammoina 5 nitrite and nitrate are both 0. We dont know what to do. Someone please help

I'm sorry, I thought that was just the 14 gallon. If everything is the same in both tanks including circulation and filtration, I have no answer for you. There's gotta be some sort of surface area of the bacteria to grow...keep that in mind as well.

the 8 gallon has not cycled yet. Let it be until you see nitrItes. Then watch for nitrAtes. You will see ammonia go down, NitrItes go up and NitrAtes go up. Just watch and do nothing until the ammonia is 0, NitrItes are 0 and NitrAtes will be high. If the ammonia goes to 0 and trItes are still up, you need to wait and be patient. You are not cycled until ammonia and trItes go to 0 in 24 hours and trAtes will be high. When that happens you do a big water change to get the trAtes down and you are ready for fish.

Olk I got that. I have been reading adn they say dont let your ammonia get to 0 because you will be starving the bacteria. They say that you need to dose it once it gets to about 1ppm. What do you say about that?

I've had saltwater tanks for fifteen years the first one with a undergravel freshwater filter the best way that I've found is a product called super bac you can usually find it at your lfs putt a fish in if it dies take it out go get another 3$ fish and put it in it need a constant source of waste in the tank I would not recommend putting any other chemicals in ur tank. If your new to this the biggest part of saltwater is waiting or it gets real expensive and real frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom