Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If you added some pure ammonia and it converted it, you would know for sure that you have a substantial bacteria colony in the tank, yes.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

What we have is called "Ammonia janitorial Strength Formula" by Ace Hardware. It says it contains 10% ammonium hydroxide. Will this work?

26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have no idea. I use the raw shrimp method usually.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok sorry its been so long but here we go. The 14 gallon is cycled. We put 5ppm of ammonia in it and it turned it into nirtate within 24 hours. Then we had thought the 8 gallon had cycled so we did the same thing BUT it did not change anything. Ph 8.4 ammoina 5 nitrite and nitrate are both 0. We dont know what to do. Someone please help
26 Gallon Bowfront. Clownfish. Six-line wrasse. Coral Beauty. 2 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 2 Emerald Crab. CUC. || 36 Gallon Bowfront. Snowflake Clownfish. Six-line. Watchman Goby. Harptail Blenny. 4 Chromis. Cleaner Shrimp. 4 Emerald Crabs. CUC. || 29 Gallon. Pair of Snow Onyx Clownfish. Watchman Goby. Pistol Shrimp. Small CUC.
sstanle4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

What's the ammonia reading?
Old 01-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

i said the ammonina was 5
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm sorry, I thought that was just the 14 gallon. If everything is the same in both tanks including circulation and filtration, I have no answer for you. There's gotta be some sort of surface area of the bacteria to grow...keep that in mind as well.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Fish R friends, not food!

the 8 gallon has not cycled yet. Let it be until you see nitrItes. Then watch for nitrAtes. You will see ammonia go down, NitrItes go up and NitrAtes go up. Just watch and do nothing until the ammonia is 0, NitrItes are 0 and NitrAtes will be high. If the ammonia goes to 0 and trItes are still up, you need to wait and be patient. You are not cycled until ammonia and trItes go to 0 in 24 hours and trAtes will be high. When that happens you do a big water change to get the trAtes down and you are ready for fish.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Olk I got that. I have been reading adn they say dont let your ammonia get to 0 because you will be starving the bacteria. They say that you need to dose it once it gets to about 1ppm. What do you say about that?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've had saltwater tanks for fifteen years the first one with a undergravel freshwater filter the best way that I've found is a product called super bac you can usually find it at your lfs putt a fish in if it dies take it out go get another 3$ fish and put it in it need a constant source of waste in the tank I would not recommend putting any other chemicals in ur tank. If your new to this the biggest part of saltwater is waiting or it gets real expensive and real frustrating.

Tags
cycled, cycling a fish tank, start

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com