Start Smart......?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone heard of a product called start smart? It says that it will cycle your tank in 24 hours. We are trying it now with some damsels and we were just wondering if this stuff is going to work or not. Thanks.

In my opinion and experience, any "quick cycle" product is over-hyped and under-performs. Be sure to keep an eye on your parameters.

I am cycling right now with that product. My NitrItes spiked right away but now have been holding at 4-5ppm. I think it help with ammonia conversion but not NitrIte to NitrAte conversion if that makes sense. I have a 29gallon with about 15lbs of live rock and 35 lbs of base. I am using rotting silversides for ammonia source. My build is located here.

I swear by Start Smart. It really helps with clarity and parameter control for my freshwater tanks. The owner of the local fish shop I frequent orders it by the gallon and uses it to regulate his tanks.

Edit: Although I cannot personally speak to its efficiency for saltwater tanks, I neglected to mention the fish shop owner keeps fresh as well as salt, including clownfish, corals, and some reef species and they appear to be doing great.

I mean we are using it in a saltwater tank. Do we have to keep putting it in there or is a one time thing?

The problem that often happen when using a quick cycle product is it create a fake source of bacteria that often die after a period of time and then you tank goes into a natural cycle. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't in my experience. Like hn1 said keep an eye on your parameters.

We put a dose of bacteria in it to help that. So do you think that would be ok?

What's the purpose of the product, if you also have to add another source of bacteria?

What did you use for the bacteria source?

You dont need a bacteria source. You need an ammonia source to create the bacteria. You have to have ammonia for the bacteria to convert to nitrItes and eventually nitrAtes. That ammonia can be in the form of rotting shrimp, pure ammonia or live fish (not recommended). The purpose of the bottled bacteria is to speed up the conversion of ammonia to nitrItes and NitrAtes. Without the additive the bacteria will grow, it is just supposed to be faster with bacteria being added.

Ok I added a damsel in as my ammonia source bc everything ive read said that was the best way to do it. The fish died within a day. And when he died, we checked everything. Ammonia was about 1. Nitrite was 0. And nitrate was about 3 or 4. Then we let it sit with no fish or anything for about 4 or 5 hours. Our parameters are now ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. Why dont we have any nitrites when our ammonia is going down and our nitrates are going up. And is this a good sign?

I used it in my freshwater tank when I first set it up. I put 8 tetras in a whole bottle of StartSmart in a 29g.two weeks later I put 3 corys and a albino bristlenose pleco in and another full bottle of start smart in. on week three my tank is cycled as far as I can tell and I only lost 1 cory but that was from injury during transport I think....all fish alive and when I test my water last weekend it was on its last leg of the cycling process. right before I put the second bottle in I had a small bacteria bloom but it was gone 2 days after adding the bottle.

But we have a saltwater would that be different? And by the way we also have a 14 gallon biocube and we are doing the same thing. The only thing is that we put the start smart in it about 5 days ago and we have 2 damsals and they are both still living. The only thing is when we cked it tonight the ammonia was about 0-0.1, nitrite was 0, nitrate was 0. What are we doing wrong because we dont even have any nitrates?

Start Smart is bacteria. It's a bottle of super-concentrated bacteria. They're activated by water and function primarily for nitrogen fixation.

Sorry I'm used to saying nitrogen fixation. The correct term is nitrification. It occurs when you have ammonium and certain microorganisms present in a given environment. These microorganisms utilize ammonia as an energy source and it's then converted into Nitrites and then Nitrates. When you use additives like Stress Zyme, Start Smart, etc. you're artificially creating this environment in your tank, which helps reduce the greater risk of high ammonia levels. Generally speaking, nitrogen fixation is the opposite process.

does that mean a temporary fix or does it actually help to cycle

Cycling, from what I understand, means establishing the perfect balance of ammonia production and conversion. If I'm not mistaken ammonia and nitrites should be relatively low and accumulating nitrates are removed by regular water changes. Whenever you change your water you're theoretically removing some of these nitrifying bacteria and that's why you'd want to add "maintenance doses" of additives like Start Smart. So much of it is circumstantial and I have little experience with most tropical fish and all salt water fish.

So what is going on with our tanks then?

It sounds to me like that's the balance you want. Low ammonia and nitrites are a good thing. When you get to nitrates, I think that's the stopping point. The microorganisms have done their job and that's why you do your water changes to remove the excess. I think nitrates are the preferred state as ammonia is a quick killer.

Back
Top Bottom