Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-16-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Start tank with our without LR?

Just wondering if I should start my tank with LR in it from day 1 or can I go ahead and cycle my tank first and then add it?
The rock has already been cured.

arminkropp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Start cycling your tank with the LR. This way your tank will be ready for live stocks once it has gone through the cycling process,and you don't have to worry about amonia and nitrite spike later.

75 gal SW
55 gal FW
IfoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 12:28 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Ifoundnemo had good advice, you can cycle your tank without lr, but when you add it, the lr could be enough to make another ammonia spike, which leads to higher nitrite, and nitrate, so if you have the $$ to buy the lr now, you might as well get it done with, plus you will have something to look at in the tank besides a decaying shrimp. JMHO.
Nels22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
I have not done it yet...but I will be cycling first WITHOUT liverock after christmas. I will doing a cycle with just a DSB and 30lbs of Dry Base Rock.

I am doing this in an effort minimize the cycle I will have when I add the liverock. I am sure I will have a small cycle when the LR is added...but I am doing this in an attempt to preserve as many hitchhikers as possible so they don't get ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

I am in no hurry for livestock...and also help me spread out the cost of setting up the tanks over a few months.

I will update everyone with my results when I start the process.

90 Gallon Fresh Water Planted w/ CO2:
7 Brilliant Rasbora, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 1 Red Tailed Shark, 2 American Flag Fish, 4 Skunk Botia Loaches

40 Gallon Breeder Salt Water: 4 inch DSB (2/3 Agaramax & 1/3 Sea Flor), Bak Pak 2R Skimmer w/ BBX, 2 x JBJ PHs, Coralife Lunar Aqualight (2x96w), 30lb Base Rock and 40lbs of Live Rock.
Inhabitants: Purple Firefish, Pygmy Angel, Lawmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, Pistol Shrimp(HH), 1 Emerald Crabs, 3 Porcelin Crabs(HH), varying amounts and varieties of hermit and snails.

3 Gallon Eclipse:
1 Goldfish (won free at a fair...cost $50 in equipment)
WhiteCloud is offline   Reply With Quote

start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com