Start up cycling issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mschramm10

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!
I seem to have run into a standstill in trying to cycle my 10G SW tank. I started the process around mid November and still haven't got it to cycle out yet. Here's the main issue: pH stays strong at 8.4, ammonia is at 0 and when I bring it up to 2-4ppm it will be back to 0 by the next day. Ok so that part is fine, I'm having an issue getting rid of nitrite. It seems to be locked at 2ppm and hasn't budged in about 3 weeks since it first showed up on the test even after several water changes. Nitrate is on the board so I know it's nitrifying, but strange that it never moves from 2ppm. Knowing that bacteria were present to nitrify ammonia, I didn't add any ammonia for 3 days to see if I could get a drop in nitrite and got absolutely nothing, still at 2ppm. I will add that nitrate level will go up when I add ammonia, and seems to drop by about 20ppm when ammonia goes back to 0. I'm using the standard API master SW test kit. I have, in my past, successfully cycled and ran a 33G and a 55G SW tank and had no issues cycling, any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm using fish less, and since ammonia had first zeroed out I have been adding 2-4ppm ammonia every night to keep that process moving, which is about the past 3 weeks. I did however, last week take a 3 day break from that routine to see if the nitrite would also zero out, but no luck there!

So, after dosing ammonia there is a 0 ammonia reading after 24 hours but still nitrite readings? Have you ever had a different color reading from your nitrite kit?

No I don't believe I have. When I first started the tank I had the strips while I waited for the master test (I ordered it online) but by the time I got the master kit I had already started dosing ammonia

Have two decent sized rocks that will one day be live rocks and black agronite sand about 1.5-2 inches deep. Waiting to add more live rock until it's cycled because we're adding clowns/anemone and will be adding the rocks with the anemone

So a start to a weekend project has me a day behind on dosing, but I dosed up to 4ppm ammonia early yesterday afternoon and these were my results from this morning( have to get back to the project, that's the reason I tested a little under 24hrs.)

Oh and tested for nitrite directly from my tap water and had a reading of 0. Don't know if this helps at all but thought I would give it a shot! and that nitrate reading fluctuates between 40ppm to the 160ppm seen in this mornings test.

Back
Top Bottom