Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-18-2015, 12:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

I tuned off skimmer. There is four raw shrimp decomposing after day 2. The ammonia reading is around 0.25 ppm. I am hoping this number for ammonia will increase to 4.0 ppm. I am currently on day 9 of the cycle. Am I progressing well? I can see a light brown film on the glass. The live rocks are also showing some stuff growing on it. When do you think I will see an ammonia spike?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-18-2015, 06:06 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

It isn't a spike really when it comes to the shrimp...it is more of a continued release.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. Will I see a increase in ammonia or will it be a gradual increase. I also added some cotton material into my sump from an established tank. I was told this will help with the cycle since your adding good bacteria into the new tank. I also plan to add substrate in the sump. The ammonia level is starting to change from 0.25ppm to 0.5ppm. I can see the colour starting to get more on the green side. I am using a API Ammonia test kit.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-19-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
Fish R friends, not food!

If you use pure ammonia, you can dose to exactly 4ppm, then you will know what you are dealing with.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
If you use pure ammonia, you can dose to exactly 4ppm, then you will know what you are dealing with.
Your right! I will pickup a bottle of pure ammonia. I will figure out how many drops it will take to change ammonia to 4ppm with 1 gallon of water. Based on that information I will determine how many drops it will take to add into 125 gallon tank. How often do I dose? What procedure do I follow? Once I get the tank up to 4ppm of Ammonia then what should I do? Would my live rocks be effected by the current bacteria building up?

I plan to add a few more live rocks this evening and add about 5Ibs of crushed coral in my sump which is full of bacteria.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #16

My 120 gallon with 30 gallon sump took 2 capfuls to reach 4ppm. Then test every day to see how long it takes for it to come down. You should see the nitrItes come up and the nitrAtes come up last. When you can process 4ppm of ammonia to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrItes and large number of nitrAtes in 24 hours, you are cycled. Then do large water changes to get the nitrAtes down and you are ready for fish! I dosed back up to 4ppm ammonia every day if it was going down, but not all the way to 0ppm. Make sure the bottle is pure ammonia (no surfactants). I found it at Ace Hardware.
Old 10-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
My 120 gallon with 30 gallon sump took 2 capfuls to reach 4ppm. Then test every day to see how long it takes for it to come down. You should see the nitrItes come up and the nitrAtes come up last. When you can process 4ppm of ammonia to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrItes and large number of nitrAtes in 24 hours, you are cycled. Then do large water changes to get the nitrAtes down and you are ready for fish! I dosed back up to 4ppm ammonia every day if it was going down, but not all the way to 0ppm. Make sure the bottle is pure ammonia (no surfactants). I found it at Ace Hardware.
Is it possible that my tank is already cycled? I have 0.25ppm of ammonia, 0ppm of Nitrite and 10ppm of Nitrates. I have about 30 pounds of live rock. I have been cycling for 11 days now. pH = 8, salinity is at 1.025 and temperature is at 28C. The first two shrimp decomposed after one week. I added four more after. There is currently 4 raw shrimps decomposing in tank.
Just wondering if my tank can handle a small bioload of inverterbraes and coral. I will eventually do fish one or two at a time. I will add every two weeks.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:51 PM   #18

I would dose to 4ppm and see what happens in 24 hours. If you are cycled it will go to 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrItes and some nitrAtes. Then you will know without a doubt you are cycled. I would remove the shrimp also.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #19

When the cycle is done, you will have to do water changes to get the nitrAtes down.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I checked my API test kit expiry date and realized they are all over 10 years expired. I was testing for Ammonia and barely getting a reading. I used another API bottle which is around 4 years expired and it gave me a reading of 2ppm for Ammonia. This was after I added 20Ibs of live crushed coral in my sump. This was taken from a good established tank. The tank got very cloudy however it is clear this morning. I have also removed the shrimp. My pH is 8, Salinity: 1.025, Temp: 28.2C. I am also using Aquavitro - Salinity which is a very good salt mix sold a Big Al's and other retailers. I will test for Ammonia this evening to see what the reading is. I plan to buy a fresh bottle of API test kit for saltwater.

What is your suggestion about the amount of live rock that I would need for a 125 gallon tank? There is mixed reports I am getting where some say I should have at least 1Ibs per gallon. I have a 30 gallon Emerald Sump with 20Ibs of live crushed coral. I also have about 35Ibs of live rock. I have them mounted across the tank on a PVC pipe. There is good flow of water above and below the live rocks. I personally don't want to pile my tank full of rocks. I am happy with the quantity that I am using. Is this OK? If I had to add live rocks I don't mind putting it in the sump however I am OK with it right now. Any suggestions.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, ate, gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, salt water, star, start, started, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com