Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

The "pound per gallon" for rock is a good general rule. It does not need to be in the display though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd View Post
The "pound per gallon" for rock is a good general rule. It does not need to be in the display though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
OK. However do I need to have that much live rock? If I don't would it create a issue for my tank?

Old 10-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Regular

I can get live Fiji rock with caroline algae from a tank that is 4 years old. What your opinion on having caroline algae on Fiji rock? Is this good to have?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Regular

Found a great article on fishless cycle. This was written from a guy on this forum. Well written article. I plan to do follow this using ammonia.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html
Old 10-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
When the cycle is done, you will have to do water changes to get the nitrAtes down.
Before I dosed last night, I checked my levels. I had 0.25ppm Ammonia, 0.25 Nitrite and 5.0ppm Nitrate. I have been cycling for 15 days now. I have seen the ammonia spike to 2ppm and come back down to 0.25ppm. I have added good filter sponge/substrate from an established tank. I decided to add pure Ammonia Hydroxide which caused a peak of 8ppm. I think added a little too much. I added 10mL for 150 gallon tank (tank=125 gallon, sump=30 gallon). I will measure the ammonia concentration this evening and see what reading is. Once the reading drops to 0ppm I will dose again back up to 4ppm using 5mL of Ammonia Hydroxide. I will see how long it will take to drop back down. Keep you posted.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #26
Fish R friends, not food!

Sounds like a good plan!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:29 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Regular

I checked my level daily after dosing to 8ppm Ammonia. Day 1: 4ppm, Day 2: 2ppm, Day 3: 0ppm. pH has been steady at 8. Nitrite is at 5ppm, Nitrate at 20ppm. As of Day 3 I added 5mL of ammonia hydroxide to dose back up to 4ppm. I will wait and see if it comes back down to 0ppm Ammonia in 24hrs. I have been using 28-30% Ammonia Hydroxide ACS lab grade solution. You can't get any better purity than this stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #28
Fish R friends, not food!

Look like you are on the right track. When you get ammonia and nitrite to get to 0ppm in 24 hours you are good to go. Well done!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Look like you are on the right track. When you get ammonia and nitrite to get to 0ppm in 24 hours you are good to go. Well done!
OK. I will keep you posted. What is your opinion on seeding tank with Zooplankton? I hear I can minimize on feeding dried/frozen food. Also, helps to keep Nitrate and Phosphates down minimizing Algae issues. I was thinking about going this route. I understanding I still have to feed with phytoplankton 2-3 times a week. It will act like a self sufficient system other than water changes and testing the system.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
So I check my Ammonia levels after 24hrs and it came down to 0ppm. I am happy about that. My Nitrite levels are stable at 5ppm after two days and my Nitrate is creeping up to 40ppm from 20 ppm. I dosed again last night and increased to 4ppm of Ammonia. I will check again to see if it comes down to 0ppm after 24hrs. How long will it take for the Nitrites to come down? Once both Ammonia and Nitrites are at 0ppm and Nitrates are high how much of water should I remove? I feel I am more than half way there.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, ate, gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, salt water, star, start, started, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com