Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
You are on your way! Keep it up. Shouldn't be long now. It is good that you are processing the ammonia fast. Now the nitrite will start to process and you will be done!
Great happy to hear. I will keep dosing. I noticed critters on the glass, live rocks and sump. I am building a good bio-load at the moment. My Emerald Sump is providing a good home for the bacteria. There is lot of bubbles for oxygenation for the bacteria. I will wait for the Nitrite to drop.

Old 10-31-2015, 01:47 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey there Firaymark, I'm following along for the build. I'm starting up a new 125g soon too!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 02:00 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'm also going to be following, hope to learn for if I jump to coral

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 10-31-2015, 02:58 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I might be jumping ship a bit here but what kinds of corals are you looking to keep?
Also I'll be following along

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:52 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Regular

Glad you all are following along. I am 23 days in my cycle and things are progressing very well. My ammonia is dosed to 4ppm and dropping to 0ppm in 24 hrs. My Nitrite was at 2ppm last night however I checked today and it's at 0ppm. My Nitrate is at around 5ppm. I have not done any water changes. I have seeded with crushed coral from an establish tank and added filter floss from an established tank. I also added more filter floss from Big Al's. The key is to change the filter floss only if it's falling apart. Add new filter floss next to the old this way the bacteria can form on the new filter floss. Do it in small portions and never change all filter floss at once. Most of the bacteria is found in your sump and on the filter floss.
I went to Big Al's to buy some dry rock and green plant which is placed in my sump to help keep phosphate levels down.

I will be adding some pictures soon to show how the tank is looking. I should be ready to add invertebrate and coral in the next few weeks. Any suggestions on easy to keep corals or fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
Old 11-02-2015, 12:03 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found an interesting link for proper dosing requirements if you plan to go the fishless route. Check out link below. Go to "Fishless Cycling - Ammonia Required".

http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

I just realized based on the calculator I have been only adding 5mL which is equivalent to ~2.6ppm. I would need to add 7.8mL (~8mL) to be at 4ppm for a 125 gallon + 25 gallon sump (150 gallon tank size). Dose ammonia based on calculator. I will see if I can now bring 4ppm down to 0ppm in 24hrs. I am quite sure my fish tank can do this. Keep you posted.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Regular

Here is two great articles worth reading:

Ammonia Instructions For A Fishless Cycle - 19627

Nitrifying Bacteria Facts

Read both to truly understand the fishless cycling method. Running a salt water tank is not hard just follow the basic rules in fishless cycle, use good grade of salt (Aquavitro - Salinity), changing filter floss only when required (seed new filter floss next to old one to allow bacteria to build on new filter floss) and regular water changes. I have learnt a lot just by reading. Please message me for any help.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular

Tested Saltwater

I just tested water this evening after spiking with ~3ppm of Ammonia last night. After 24 hrs, Ammonia = 0ppm; Nitrite = 0ppm and Nitrate = 80ppm (shaked both bottle of API Nitrate for ~2 mins before using). I have dosed again with ~8mL of Ammonia or 4ppm based on calcualtion above. I will measure in ~9 hrs. I am going out of town for a few days so I will make sure to dose 4ppm daily. It looks like I am almost done cycling. I would like to convert 4ppm in 12 hrs which I think I can do. I will do a major water change ~90% once I see consistancy with Ammonia/Nitrite of 0ppm & lots of Nitrate for the next few days.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:02 PM   #49
Fish R friends, not food!

Sounds like you are right there! Good job! Fish in the tank soon!
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:56 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am able to convert Ammonia and Nitrite in 24 hrs with lots on Nitrate (more than 80ppm). I plan to do a big water change tomorrow. My pH has been very stable at 8. I would like to bump it up to 8.2. Any suggestion on what I should use?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, ate, gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, salt water, star, start, started, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com