Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

I am on my 33rd day of cycling. Ammonia, Nitrite are at 0ppm. I am dosing about 1ppm of ammonia daily to keep the bacteria active. I have changed water in two parts (55 gallons per day). I have taken out ~100 gallons of water. My Nitrates are around 60ppm. I am hoping to do two more water changes to bring it down to around 10ppm or less. Plan to buy more salt mix this evening.
The tank is starting to look crystal clear. I have also turned on my sump. I have not changed my filter sock or filter form. The bacteria is nicely building on it. Some of the pieces are darkish brown. I will change one filter socks with a clean one and leave the other dirty filter sock in. This is for Emerald sump which carry filter socks.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM   #52
Aquarium Advice Regular

I took my water sample to Big Al's yesterday and here are my results:
Ammonia: 0ppm (added 1ppm the night before)
Nitrate: 0.25ppm (Nitrate in the process of being converted to Nitrate)
Nitrate: 20ppm (I was told it will usually be around 10-20ppm. It will never be close to 0ppm)
pH: 8.1
Salinity: 1.024
I know for a fact I can convert ammonia and nitrate to 0ppm in 24hrs based on 4ppm dosing. Based on my results I can start adding fish or clean up crew (invertabrae). I changed ~150 gallons of water in the last week. Things are really looking good. There is no algae build up since I left my lights off. The water is crystal clear. I have started my protein skimmer and the bubbles are slowly rising to the top. Its close to skimming some waste. I continue to does 1ppm of Ammonia daily. Some areas of my filter floss are nice and brown with good indication of bacteria buildup.
Please make sure you check your expiry dates for API test solution if your using this brand. If they are expired don't use them and buy fresh bottles. My Nitrate bottle was determined to be expired and I was getting high readings of 60-80ppm or more even after doing big water changes. The bottles were mixed for 2 minutes before use. I bought this from a private salt water dealer and one bottle had an expiry date and the other one had no expiry date. Seems like these bottles were mixed up. I will not do this again. I decided to buy a fresh bottle of Nitrate and I threw out my old Nitrate bottles.
I will start testing for phosphates and calcium soon.

Old 11-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #53
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Sounds like you are right there! Good job! Fish in the tank soon!
Planning to add cleanup crew first and maybe one or two fish. My Nitrate levels are around 20-30ppm. Everything else is good. Is it possible to bring it down to 10ppm or less? The guys at Big Al's told me that 20-30ppm of Nitrate is as low as you can go. Is this true? I have done about 150 gallon water change in the last week. Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Regular

My Phosphate reading is around 0.25ppm. I have no algae build up. I cycled with light off and there is no sunlight near tank. Water looks crystal clear.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:51 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just found out some information. The API test kit is not the best out there for testing. They are other brands (Salifest, Hanna, etc.) which are better. Anyways please go to API website and click:

Welcome to API Fishcare: SALTWATER MASTER TEST KIT

Go to Salwater Master Test Kit Instructions and click Learn More. Here is what they say for Nitrate:

"This test kit reads total nitrate (NO3-) level in parts per million (ppm) which are equivalent to milligrams per liter (mg/L) from 0 ppm to 160 ppm, in either fresh or saltwater aquariums. This kit includes two Nitrate Test Color Charts — one for freshwater aquariums, and one for saltwater aquariums — so be sure to use the correct chart for your type of aquarium when interpreting test results. The Freshwater Nitrate Test Color Chart is the appropriate chart to use for testing freshwater aquariums to which salt has been added. This test kit measures nitrate as nitrate ion or “total nitrate.” Other nitrate test kits that measure “nitrate-nitrogen” (NO3-N) will give readings 4.4 times LESS than this test kit."

When I take my 30ppm of Nitrate and divide it by 4.4 I get 6.8ppm which is less than 10ppm. With the amount of water changes I have done this makes sense. I read another post where API was compared to Salifest and the results were similar when you do the calculation.

Please read instruction from API regarding Nitrite and Nitrate testing. This would be very helpful regarding your test results if using this brand.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:08 PM   #56
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for sharing. Looks like everything is going along fine.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice Regular

I had a issue with diatom bloom or brown algae. I decided to change all filter floss, lower intensity of light to low and increase power heads to highest setting. I also bought six Green Chromis, six Hermit crabs and eight Mexican Turbo Snails. The fish are happy and the Turbo snails are cleaning up all brown algae on rocks. I was told its normal to have a diatom bloom in a new tank it will eventually go away. I continue to do 10% water change weekly using high grade salt (Aqua Salinity). My skimmer is also skimming well. All my water tests are good. Nitrate are around 10-20ppm (this is normal). My Phosphate are around 0.25ppm. I am going to monitor the activities for the next week or so before I add some cleanup crew for the sand. The tank is shaping up nicely. Trying to keep it simple and maintain good water quality. Time will tell.

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, ate, gallon, reef, reef tank, salt, salt water, star, start, started, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com