Started a Tank, Have questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jrodge

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I started a 55 g tank with little experience and love hearing from the experts. Below are a few pictures.
My main question is about the first picture. I bought this on Craigs list and the plastic holding the middle to the tank is broken. Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 59
Yes, that center brace prevents the tank form bowing out and possiblely failing. Try to repair it.
You may have to lower the water level to reduce the pressure on the tank as you pull the brace togerher and bolt the two sections together.

Last edited:
You could remove half the water then screw the two pieces together with an approreate piece of plastic with stainless steel screws or plastic screws and bolts.
PS: the more water you remove the better!

I agree. With today's tanks you want that middle brace in order to make sure the glass doesn't bow out so much that it stresses and breaks (big mess).

You can try to repair as mentioned above or just replace the molding. I'm sure someone here knows where you can buy it.

You can also order the top frame and replace it completely. The tank probably wont fail with the center brace broken on a 55 but you shouldn't take the chance.

You are going to have to take about half the water out of the tank and repair the brace. I had something similar happen to a 55 of mine.

Here is the solution I came up with.
1012644medium.jpg

1012643medium.jpg

I used a pipe clamp to gently pull the center back together. Be VERY VERY careful doing this. the PVC was cut a bit short, one elbow was glued into the length and then I put glue on the other end and in the other elbow, when I go the center back where it belonged I tightened the clamp down a little more and put the other elbow on. After an hour of letting the glue set I removed the clamp and everything was good to go. This held for over a year before I took the tank down.

My vote though is to replace the plastic trim completely

OK, the aquarium has been up for a week now and we tooka sample of the water to our LFS. The results ar:
PH - 8.0
Ammonia - .5ppm
Nitrite - 4.0ppm
Nitrate - 180ppm
Salinity - 1.023

Are these results normal? At the LFS they said I pboably have too much argonite for this size tank. We put 40 lbs. in this tank. Are they right?

Not yet, it is on my agenda for tonight. Gonna take out about 50% of the water and repair it by thincat's advice then refill the tank.

If I may ask the gap seen in the plastic is that the amount the glass has opened up or is it a piece that is missing as it look nearly like an inch that it has opened up? :(

Man that is a big problem better fix it or you might need to put on some swim shorts snorkel and goggles its not a small tank.

Alright I think I fixed the bowing problem. There is a small 1mm gap still but is holding a lot better. Thanks for the tips.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 52
Great job. Tell us how you did it so that others can gain from it.

Good one last thing you want is to dream about swimming with your fish and then finding out its really true when you wake up. lol

I went to Home Depot and the only real plastic material they had was the siding for the edges of walls. I got a 4 foot piece and cut 2 sections to the size of the tank. Got stainless steel screws, doubled up the plastic to make aupside down u shape to fit over the plastic of the tank. Used 3 screws on each side and you have what you see in the picture. Water sat overnight in the tank and there was no movement. Seems to be holding strong!

OK, the aquarium has been up for a week now and we tooka sample of the water to our LFS. The results ar:
PH - 8.0
Ammonia - .5ppm
Nitrite - 4.0ppm
Nitrate - 180ppm
Salinity - 1.023

Are these results normal? At the LFS they said I pboably have too much argonite for this size tank. We put 40 lbs. in this tank. Are they right?

Just so you know, the NitrAte reading can be ignored until you have no NitrIte. Most NitrAte test kits convert NitrAte to NitrIte, then test NitrIte. So if you have any NitrIte, the NitrAte test is irrelevant.

Also, are you going to add more LR? You don't have much in there. Good for hiding spots and filtration.

Back
Top Bottom