Started new 75 gallon SW tank 06/02/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NO1B4ME said:
My heater is Off and I have no glass top.

This is my setup and updated on profile

75 gallon AGA Tank
Coralife 220 Super skimmer with Genx 2400
Jager 200 watt heater- (NOT On yet since the water is too HOT)
Mag 7 return pump
20 Gallon Acrylic sump
4 T5 lights in a DIY Canopy setup

Items in hand and not in tank
2 Korali #4 PH's

Hmmm... sounds like you'll have to blow a fan across your tank and/or sump to cool things down. I'm guessing your room temp is in the high 70s?

Kurt_Nelson said:
NO1B4ME said:
My heater is Off and I have no glass top.

This is my setup and updated on profile

75 gallon AGA Tank
Coralife 220 Super skimmer with Genx 2400
Jager 200 watt heater- (NOT On yet since the water is too HOT)
Mag 7 return pump
20 Gallon Acrylic sump
4 T5 lights in a DIY Canopy setup

Items in hand and not in tank
2 Korali #4 PH's

Hmmm... sounds like you'll have to blow a fan across your tank and/or sump to cool things down. I'm guessing your room temp is in the high 70s?

Kurt you are good. My room temp is 76-78 degrees.

That return pump is probably pumping the extra heat into your tank, plus the lights might be bumping it a degree or so too. 82 isn't bad, but if you're dropping by more than a couple degrees at night, that could be a bit stressful. With room temps that high, you'll probably be hard pressed to bring the temp lower without a fan.

When we occassionally get a hot day here (occassionally!), I put a fan blowing across the side and top of my tank. I was amazed at how much just a simple fan would drop the temp in the tank. (And how fast!) You should be able to get it below 80 with a fan if you want.

Kurt_Nelson said:
That return pump is probably pumping the extra heat into your tank, plus the lights might be bumping it a degree or so too. 82 isn't bad, but if you're dropping by more than a couple degrees at night, that could be a bit stressful. With room temps that high, you'll probably be hard pressed to bring the temp lower without a fan.

When we occassionally get a hot day here (occassionally!), I put a fan blowing across the side and top of my tank. I was amazed at how much just a simple fan would drop the temp in the tank. (And how fast!) You should be able to get it below 80 with a fan if you want.

So do you suggest a smaller return pump. Like maybe a Mag5. I will work on the fan mods tomorrow. I have tons of them laying here.

I would hook up the fans before I change the pump. It's a good idea to have fans no matter which pump you have and by waiting you'll be able to determine whether or not changing the pump is necessary.

You could mount some fans inside your canopy, you sound like a DIY-er! I've heard of people using computer fans. Do you have plenty of ventiliation inside your canopy, like is the back of it open? That helps a lot.

NO1B4ME said:
So do you suggest a smaller return pump. Like maybe a Mag5. I will work on the fan mods tomorrow. I have tons of them laying here.

Like the others, I wouldn't change the return pump. The return pump choice should be determined by your head and flow requirements - not just by the wattage.

I'd try the easiest thing first - the fans - and see how that helps. I bet it'll make a big difference.

brown rust sounds like diatom and is normal in a new setup.
Fans work wonders, have a small one blowing across the top of the sump and see if that helps and you want to keep the mag 7 for flow and to keep up with your overflows from the tank.

And adding too many fish at once is not good even in a mature cycled tank.
TAKE IT SLOW when adding fish..... You may have issues with 2 of those gobies so keep an eye on them.

seaham358 said:
brown rust sounds like diatom and is normal in a new setup.
Fans work wonders, have a small one blowing across the top of the sump and see if that helps and you want to keep the mag 7 for flow and to keep up with your overflows from the tank.

And adding too many fish at once is not good even in a mature cycled tank.
TAKE IT SLOW when adding fish..... You may have issues with 2 of those gobies so keep an eye on them.

I bought them as a pair and they are always together. The only reason I bought the GObys and Clows was they were from a guy that lost his tank to the bottom cracking. SO he gave them to me along with 8 clowns which are setup in an emergency 10 gallon.... I hope they dont die on me.

Can someone HELP me with the 10 clowns in hte 10 gallon. I took a piece of the established rock and threw it into a 10 gallon with the water from the tank that the clowns came in. I am making more salt water to finish filling up the 10 gallon and will take it slow.

NO1B4ME said:
[
Can someone HELP me with the 10 clowns in hte 10 gallon. I took a piece of the established rock and threw it into a 10 gallon with the water from the tank that the clowns came in. I am making more salt water to finish filling up the 10 gallon and will take it slow.

8O Wow... 8 clowns in 10 gallons! That is definitely not taking it slow, but I understand that the person you got them from had to house them somewhere... I guess. But I'd make up a BUNCH more water right NOW... a bunch. I'm guessing your ammonia levels are going to spike a bit and you'll have to do some major PWCs daily (maybe like 50%?) to keep them in check.

I just got done with 3 chromis in a fully cycled 10g QT and had ammonia issues for 9 days out of the 4 week quarantine period. I can't even imagine 10 fish in a 10g QT.

Kurt_Nelson said:
NO1B4ME said:
[

8O Wow... 8 clowns in 10 gallons! That is definitely not taking it slow, but I understand that the person you got them from had to house them somewhere... I guess. But I'd make up a BUNCH more water right NOW... a bunch. I'm guessing your ammonia levels are going to spike a bit and you'll have to do some major PWCs daily (maybe like 50%?) to keep them in check.

I just got done with 3 chromis in a fully cycled 10g QT and had ammonia issues for 9 days out of the 4 week quarantine period. I can't even imagine 10 fish in a 10g QT.

Yeah he was like If i can't find no one to take them I will have to flush them. I was like WTF. People like that should not own a pet PERIOD. I was like well i will take them all... Of course I am bitting my fingernails over here.... LOL

My 75 gallon is doing well DIatoms started appearing on Monday..

My params on it look well. I also added 2 watch man gobys from the same guy that gave me the clowns. I put the Goby pair in the 75 gallon. They look happy but shy.

I checked the params on the 75 and it looks good.

I checked the params and everytihng looks good.

Is the API Master Saltwater testing kit any good? If it is then the water params check ok on the 10 gallon as well...

Kurt_Nelson said:
NO1B4ME said:
[

My ammonia level is high. I am making more salt water at the moment..............

PLease explain your process on making SW......how long to run through your RO/DI...what before and after #'s on your tap water, ewtc.

Hope your new additions are doing well.

CH

Guys i found my problem. My AC in my house was going bad slowly. That is what was causing my tank to get hot. MY AC went out completely on Friday night and it turned out to be a bad coil inside my house. Now my tank stays at 77-78 at all times with no fans :).

Back
Top Bottom