Started new 75 gallon SW tank 06/02/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NO1B4ME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just setup a new 75 gallon SW tank and put in 50 lbs of rock. I have an RO/DI form filterguys.com and it works Awesome....

My parameterers are these

PH 8.0-8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0

My rock came from a friends tank and it is definitely live as it has snails,etc... in it. I also have 80 lbs of Aragonite sand in it. 40 lbs LS and the rest dry sand..

HOw long does the cysle take. My friend tells me to put a clown it help cycle. Isn't that wrong?

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Sounds you started the right way. Whn using established media you can greatly reduce the cyle time of your tank. I would suggest adding at least anotehr 50lbs of LR before you add any livestock. This will help your tank down the road. Any other forms of filtration?

BTW...what type of RO/DI did you get form the filter guys?

lando said:
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
Sounds you started the right way. Whn using established media you can greatly reduce the cyle time of your tank. I would suggest adding at least anotehr 50lbs of LR before you add any livestock. This will help your tank down the road. Any other forms of filtration?

BTW...what type of RO/DI did you get form the filter guys?

Thanks I have another 100lbs of liverock from the same friends tank. Just didn't add it yet? Should I add it as well? I bought the ocean reef +1 and it works perfectly :)....

I also have 2 snails in the tank that were stuck on the LR....

dont put a clown in to cycle not nice for the clown, add a raw shrimp from the fish market. I will let one of the pros tell you more about it.

With the amount of LR & LS he has in his tank couldn't he just add a few drops of fish food to jump start the cycle? It worked for me. I didn't need the shrimp.

I am adding another 50 lbs today of LR, just gotta clean it.

Good idea. To start the cycle just add a few flakes of food.

I`m just wondering with the extra 50 lbs of LR if that alone will be enough to jump start the cycle. The die off from it should be enough.

if the LR is from an established tank then you my not have a cycle because there is already bacteria on the LR. This is why CURED LR is great stuff, NO cycle, NO shrimp, NO Damsels to test the waters..
This LR is from a established tank and was kept wet/live in SW? If its a local friend there should be no die off if it was not kept out of water for long periods.

seaham358 said:
if the LR is from an established tank then you my not have a cycle because there is already bacteria on the LR. This is why CURED LR is great stuff, NO cycle, NO shrimp, NO Damsels to test the waters..
This LR is from a established tank and was kept wet/live in SW? If its a local friend there should be no die off if it was not kept out of water for long periods.

Yes this LR was from a friends tank that was extablished for 2 years. It was taken out and placed in big container with 2 maxi 600 power heads. I didn't get a chance to clean it and put it in. I am doing it in the morning.

This is great news then....

Not sure what you mean by "clean" it. I would avoid scubbing it anything. As long as it was in a tub with SW, a heater an powerheads you should be able to just dunk it to get rid of any sediment and add it to the tank. However, if it has hair algae or cycno on it, you will need to give it a good scrubbing first. I would be hesitant to add it to my tank at all if that is the case.

I added 20 more lbs and it is looking good. I am seeing brown rust looking color on my Aragonite sand. The only thing I dont understand is my temp is 83 degrees. How can i get it colder?

Do you have fans? They can help. Also, is your tank covered? There are many things you can do to reduce the heat. Do you have anything in the water that could increase the temperature such as submersible pumps, Power heads etc.?

NO1B4ME said:
The only thing I dont understand is my temp is 83 degrees. How can i get it colder?

I'm guessing from the question that you don't have heaters in the tank? If you do, well... then turn down the heaters!

If you have a glass top, leave it open, or take it off all together. That in addition to running a fan across the top of the tank will cool things down fairly well.

You might want to fill in your "My Info" section of your profile (go to "Home" and "update my profile".) That way when questions like this come up you won't get a ton of questions about what your setup is as far as equipment.

My heater is Off and I have no glass top.

This is my setup and updated on profile

75 gallon AGA Tank
Coralife 220 Super skimmer with Genx 2400
Jager 200 watt heater- (NOT On yet since the water is too HOT)
Mag 7 return pump
20 Gallon Acrylic sump
4 T5 lights in a DIY Canopy setup

Items in hand and not in tank
2 Korali #4 PH's

Publix aka pubicx hehe.. are u down in florida?
I get to shop there 2 weeks a year while im down in Sarasota. I've got a time share down there at lido beach.

seaham358 said:

Man you are The MAN... I have not seen a cycle yet and been testing the water parameters for a week. I call my friend that I bought the rock form and he says " I told you you could put fish in it ASAP as my rock is cured for 3 years and NEVER been out of water"

I put in 2 clowns and 2 Watchman Gobys and it looks Awesome soo far.

Watch adding too many fish at once. Your beneficial bacteria will need time to convert ammonia to nitrAtes and grow to accommodate the new, heavier bioload. Keep watching your water. It seems you now have 100 Lbs of cured LR right? If so, adding the 4 small fish should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom