Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-16-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Update!! Did a major water change and a few days later the levels were a lot of better, a completed cycle...however, one problem.

Bought a gobie and a tang today, since the cycle finally completed because I only had just a clownfish and two snails. gobie is fine but on the way back from buying them the tang started to act weird, laying sideways in the bag, however, I've read online they do this when they are stressed, so it may have been normal. I added it into the tank and it seemed fine for a little while but it would sometimes stop and lay down or lay on something for 10 minutes, get back up, and do it for awhile. Just about 15 minutes ago, after being in the tank for a few hours, it died.

But why? All the levels were okay. no problems with temp, salinity, pH, no ammonia, no nitrite, and a healthy amount of nitrate, and I watched the fish for some time at the store so I'm fairly sure it was good. The store was somewhat far, it took me about 40 minutes to get home, would that have an effect? I'm just really curious as to why he hid in a hiding spot and died. The other fish is just fine too...

Old 01-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Read #15

Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

Also, how did you acclimate the fish? If you did it by floating the bag and then adding a little water every 5 minutes, that may not have been enough. I always drip acclimate for 45 minutes and haven't lost a fish yet.

Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow #15 gets very detailed. Feels like no mater what I test for what im reading isn't really true anymore, or there can be some unknown factor going on that will kill my fish, great. I thought algae was a bad thing, the article states that it helps the process

I've heard of drip acclimate but dont know how to do it, yes, I floated the bag and added water, which I thought would be fine because the temp was the same and everything, so much different could my water possibly be from the water in the bag. It's not like it was so outrageously different that would cause it to die.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

wow I thought it was a type of tang but looking it up it's actually a butterfly fish, this exact one:

Auriga Butterflyfish (Chaetodon auriga)

Tags
death, eat, started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com