Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

"I have NO idea on when the tank will be purchased though. the bf said I must wait."

Tell him not to wait. Petco dollar per gallon sale is on until the 19th of the month. You will get the tank for 40$ vs. 129$. That's a no brainer! If he says no. You need to trade him in. Lol

Old 01-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol! Its a money thing right now. I originally told him not to worry about the tank and then surprised him. Oh well.

He said maybe end of this month or early next month. That is not soon enough for me. So I asked him if he could just buy the stand for now. He said that may be possible. If he does that then I will buy the tank myself.

The reason why is everything I ordered is already here!!! The rocks are in my leasing office as they were delivered while I was not home. I'm excited to see what they look like as I wasn't able to see them.

Did I mention the lights were bright? Lol!!

A couple of questions:
1. Do I need the 305? I've got 50lbs of base rock, 750 power head, and a hob?
2. How do I hand the lights? I've looked online but am drawing a blank
3. Has anyone had any problems with the taotronics catching fire? I scared myself while trying to find info on hanging them.
4. Is using PETCO brand salt okay for the cycle?

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbanker View Post
Lol! Its a money thing right now. I originally told him not to worry about the tank and then surprised him. Oh well.

He said maybe end of this month or early next month. That is not soon enough for me. So I asked him if he could just buy the stand for now. He said that may be possible. If he does that then I will buy the tank myself.

The reason why is everything I ordered is already here!!! The rocks are in my leasing office as they were delivered while I was not home. I'm excited to see what they look like as I wasn't able to see them.

Did I mention the lights were bright? Lol!!

A couple of questions:
1. Do I need the 305? I've got 50lbs of base rock, 750 power head, and a hob?
2. How do I hand the lights? I've looked online but am drawing a blank
3. Has anyone had any problems with the taotronics catching fire? I scared myself while trying to find info on hanging them.
4. Is using PETCO brand salt okay for the cycle?
If you have he LR and a good skimmer, that would work, but if you don't have a skimmer, I would use the 305, as least until you get a skimmer (IF you want one).
Don't know how to hang the lights. I thought it came wit a hanging kit.
Never heard if any taotronics catching fire. Interesting.
I didn't realize Petco has their own salt brand. It would probably be ok. Most start with instant ocean, then some change from there to Kent's or others.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beengirl View Post

If you have he LR and a good skimmer, that would work, but if you don't have a skimmer, I would use the 305, as least until you get a skimmer (IF you want one).
Don't know how to hang the lights. I thought it came wit a hanging kit.
Never heard if any taotronics catching fire. Interesting.
I didn't realize Petco has their own salt brand. It would probably be ok. Most start with instant ocean, then some change from there to Kent's or others.
Aye. I've been thinking about a skimmer and rodi unit. Not sure if I'm ready to make the commitment. Silly I know. The cycle will take some time so I will think about it. Just not sure if I wanna run the 305.

I have to do some price shopping on salt. I'll let you know what I decide to do. The bank has been dead lately so I'll have plenty of time to research. Lol I have tons if paperwork to catch up on.

Couple of upcoming fish projects. Moving my 110g freshwater, tearing down my 20g freshwater, and once purchases painting the back of the 40g.

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishfriend View Post
"I have NO idea on when the tank will be purchased though. the bf said I must wait."

Tell him not to wait. Petco dollar per gallon sale is on until the 19th of the month. You will get the tank for 40$ vs. 129$. That's a no brainer! If he says no. You need to trade him in. Lol
I second this, taking advantage of the Petco dollar per gallon sale is a major savings point. The math tells it all.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha. To him wasted money is wasted money. Right now the timing is not right. I may by the tank and wait on the stand.

Question: I've got used sand from a freshwater tank that was never treated with meds. Can I put it in the 40b? The reason I ask is because the silicates are all burned out and I don't want to go through diatoms again to that extent.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crazy stoopid question :

How do you do a water change without exposing your live rock and coral??

Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I may by the tank and wait on the stand.
There ya go! And you won't have to trade him in. In fact. You can say "hey! I bought the tank so you can do the stand and a fish or too to make it up to me."
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Crazy stoopid question :

How do you do a water change without exposing your live rock and coral??
When I do PWCs, the very tips of rock might be exposed for a few minutes, but that won't hurt. Also, many corals are exposed to the air during low tide for hours, they close and produce a slime coating to protect themselves. Just don't expose ones that aren't supposed to be exposed to air at all, like sponges.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Lol good to know! I can't trade him in.... I love him! Lol!

Alright I will keep that in mind while I do my rock scape.

Speaking of which my leasing office lost fifty pounds of rock! I spent half the day hunting for it..... the rocks were under the managers desk. Once I get the tank I'll know if A. I need more rock and B. if I want to break up a few pieces.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com