started. stopped. STARTED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
After many starts and stops I'm finally going. Awful I know.

This is what I can't decide.... a 20g or 40g. I know most people will say go bigger but I'm not sure it is worth the energy. I currently have the 20g stand and tank. I like the layout of a 40g. I'm struggling to find a stand for the 40. The ones petco/smart/lfs offer are crazy expensive and DYI means I will lose a finger and a couple of nails. Ha. IF I can find a suitable replacement stand for the 40 I will do it. Otherwise I've got the 20.

What I do have!

750 koralia power head
50 lbs of caribsea base rock
305 fluval filter
30g HOB filter
30 lbs of Pfs
120w taotronics dimmable led fixture
A bottle of ammonia

The rock, fixture, and ph are being shipped via amazon.

Not sure of stocking as it depends on the tank. Any ideas?

Hey BB. Sorry about the dilema. Although you already have the 20 and stand..buying the stand for the 40 will be much cheaper in the long run. No doubt you will want to upgrade. Then, you can sell the 20's stand on CL and use the 20 gallon as the sump.

For stock in the 40 gallon (assuming this is a reef)

2x Percula Clowns
1x Yasha Goby/pistol shrimp pair
1x Midas Blenny
1x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

This is just what i would stock.

I think you should go with the 40 and make the 20 as a sump. With the 40 you will have more room.for whatever you want. The stands do cost alot a diy would be cheaper thats the way I would go, but you shouldnt lose a finger over it. Check amazon to see if you can find a stand. The 40 will be better for ya

Hey BB. Sorry about the dilema. Although you already have the 20 and stand..buying the stand for the 40 will be much cheaper in the long run. No doubt you will want to upgrade. Then, you can sell the 20's stand on CL and use the 20 gallon as the sump.

For stock in the 40 gallon (assuming this is a reef)

2x Percula Clowns
1x Yasha Goby/pistol shrimp pair
1x Midas Blenny
1x Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse

This is just what i would stock.

Why would the 40 stand be cheaper in the long run?

Lol and it will certainly be a reef. Any opinions on the light?

I think you should go with the 40 and make the 20 as a sump. With the 40 you will have more room.for whatever you want. The stands do cost alot a diy would be cheaper thats the way I would go, but you shouldnt lose a finger over it. Check amazon to see if you can find a stand. The 40 will be better for ya

Lol .... trust me. Everything I touch breaks or I hurt myself.

Would there be a suitable alternative?

bigbanker said:
Why would the 40 stand be cheaper in the long run?

Lol and it will certainly be a reef. Any opinions on the light?

Lol .... trust me. Everything I touch breaks or I hurt myself.

Would there be a suitable alternative?

You'll want to upgrade eventually...so it'd be easier to do that now and buy the stand rather than a new setup later on!

I'd go for a T5 from fishneedit.com or some AlSols

You can get someone to build it for you. You might beable to find some kind of stable table. Needs to be about 20in tall maybe more if your running a sump

You'll want to upgrade eventually...so it'd be easier to do that now and buy the stand rather than a new setup later on!

I'd go for a T5 from fishneedit.com or some AlSols

Lol. I've got a 55 and 75 in storage. Along with a 150 that is currently cracked :( not super worried about upgrading.

What brand does fishneedit? For some reason I was thinking many people had success with the taotronics LED fixture. And that it was far more cost efficient than the t5s. While it is certainly not too late to change though. A simple return. :)

You can get someone to build it for you. You might beable to find some kind of stable table. Needs to be about 20in tall maybe more if your running a sump

Very true. I will have to look around. I've been stalking cl like a crazy lady to find a 40 stand OR combo no luck.

I'm currently in DC and did find someone who had one but it has livestock in it and the bf vetoed that for the ride back! Lol I've gone clothing shopping, gotten a six foot tall house plant AND my 80lbs dog to take back.

Taotronics many people use, what u need to make sure you get are the ones that can dim. Or you may chance burong your corals up. Bridgelux also makes led for aquariums. T5s can work depending what corals you are wanting to have.

You can always do a diy led light from rapid led. I think they actually have a diy solderless kit for a 40g. It should come with everything you need. The solderless leds will be easier that the kind you have to solder unless you know how. They is adhesive put the leds on and connecet the wires they pop right in like a phone jack

Are you talking about getting two lights or powerheads? I would try the light first before you buy another it may work I believe the 40 b is 36 in long 17 in wide

One may do. Put ur return on one side and you powerhead on the other if you think you need more water movement.get another. does the powerhead have magnets or suxtioncups

I haven't received it yet so I have no idea. Its a koralia 750.

Emailed a guy today. If he has a 40b stand for cheap I'll buy it and get the tank from petco

Bulk reef supply is the best bang for your buck. my friend got one from ebay he doesnt like it. He likes mine and i got mine from brs

Just did a 40g build in Nov. my stand cost 23.00 creigslist. Just buy a small dresser or tv stand.

image-493377459.jpg

image-1702205839.jpg

Just painted it black and was good to go!

Just did a 40g build in Nov. my stand cost 23.00 creigslist. Just buy a small dresser or tv stand.

Just painted it black and was good to go!

You are a genius. I was leaning towards a dresser. Ha. Do you think a TV stand would support the weight of a 40b? Did you do a thread on yours? Also what lights/power head do you have??

Back
Top Bottom