Started The Fishless Cycle ... What next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

qhrisnd

Aquarium Advice Regular
We started our fishless cycle using shrimp from the local grocery store. We put the water in our tank (Instant Ocean and dechlorinated purified water), let that run for a few days with Live Sand. Then we added the shrimp.

They have almost completely decomposed now. What next?

I agree, you need to be testing the water. Won't know what's next til you can find out where your at in the cycle. :wink:

Levels

The current (I don't know how accurate) levels are:

pH: Approx 8.4
Ammonia: 1.0
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 7.5

Specific Gravity: 1.021

Are you using a liquid test kit? If so, they should be pretty accurate. Looks like your just about past the ammonia stage. Nitrites are a bit slower but, your getting there. Wait til the ammonia and nitrite readings are at 0, then do a good water change before adding fish and/or clean up critters.

Yeah, we're using a liquid test kit. I don't know how old the chemicals are, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Yay for almost being there!

We've noticed a goldish-brown color starting to develop on the sand in our tank. Is this normal?

I have a new tank that's just a few weeks old. I also have the rust colored algae on my sand. Everything I've read says that this is normal and should go away after adding the cleanup crew.

Even after adding a cleanup crew it did not go away completely in my tank. Maybe if you add a large enough crew it would work that way? I noticed a big bloom about 1/4 of the way through my light cycle each day and it died down a bit about the last 1/4 of the light cycle. I left my cleanup crew the same size and after 2-3 weeks the algea went away on its own. I believe I have heard the term "burned out" to describe it. I am still unsure whether using regular tap water is what gave me the "brown cycle" or whether it also occurs when using Ro/Di water.

The brown dusty covering is diatoms. These will burn themselves out as long as they aren't being "fed" by water impurities. They are part of the new tank cycle. It is one of those things that signifies being almost through the cycle so look at it as a good sign. How does your water test now?

Phyl said:
The brown dusty covering is diatoms. These will burn themselves out as long as they aren't being "fed" by water impurities. They are part of the new tank cycle. It is one of those things that signifies being almost through the cycle so look at it as a good sign. How does your water test now?

pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0.2
Nitrates: 40
Nitrites: 1-1.5

Cleanup Crew?

Would this be a good "cleanup crew"?

1 Lawnmower Blenny (S 1.5"-2")
5 Turbo Grazer Snails
4 Bumble Bee Snails
1 Emerald Crab OR 1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
8 Red Leg Hermit Crabs

Re: Cleanup Crew?

qhrisnd said:
Ammonia: 0.2
Nitrates: 40
Nitrites: 1-1.5
Your a ways off from a clean up crew just yet. The tank still needs about 2-3 weeks more cycle time from what I can see. Once ammonia and nitrite reach zero on their own, the tank is effectively cycled. You then just need to do a large water change (up to 50%) to get the chem back in line and reduce the nitrates that would have built up.

For any tank containing inverts, you really should boost the SG towards 1.025 or if you have a refractometer, target 35 ppt. Now would be the best time to do so since there's nothing in the tank to harm.

Would this be a good "cleanup crew"?

1 Lawnmower Blenny (S 1.5"-2")
5 Turbo Grazer Snails
4 Bumble Bee Snails
1 Emerald Crab OR 1 Sally Lightfoot Crab
8 Red Leg Hermit Crabs
As for this, in the beginning I would stick to simple invert species. The lawnmower is not a good first fish nor a good "clean up" animal. The turbo's are good but by far the best detritus/carion consumer will be nassarius snails. Bumblebee's are strictly carion for the most part and have no interest in algaes contrary to popular belief. They'd eat other snails before the algae. Other good snail additions would be cerith, trochus, margarita and/or nerite.

As far as crabs, not a big fan of them myself. They are opportunistic omnivors that wouldn't hesitate at eating the things yoiu want along with what you don't want. With the right mix of snails and proper maintenace, things with claws shouldn't be needed.

Cheers
Steve

Steve:

I appreciate the in-depth reply!

Thanks for the help and input ... we're going to work on getting the SG up to 1.025 and we'll be watching the levels in the tank.

So ... here it goes!!!

Current Chem Stats:

Nitrate: 15
Nitrite: .75 (approx)
Ammonia: .25 (approx)
SG: 1.021

How is this looking?

Is there anything we can do to speed up the cycle? We're adding our base & live rock this weekend, and the beginning of next week.

Coming along nicely. I'd say you have about another 10-14 days to go befoe the nitrites and ammonia are dealt with naturally. Adding the rock will definately help as it adds additional bacterial surfaces increasing the biological filters effectiveness. It will be some time before you see denitrification but you should have a strong biofilter overall depending on the total amount of rock.

One thing to keep in mind depending on the condition of the LR when you add it, is it may have die off that will increase your cycle numbers for a short time. Some is well cured so the spikes are short lived. Really depends on the shipping time and how it's handled. The base rock will not affect the cycle negatively at all.

As far as speeding things up, don't. Let it run it's course naturally. There is nothing good that will come of it.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom