Starter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4127john

Aquarium Advice Freak
Alright so I got 5 consecutive a's on my test. Now my dad gonna buy me a saltwater tank I think 20 gallon. Any advice I researched a lot but I want also advice from experienced people.

First things first, do you want a fowlr (fish only with live rock) or a reef? Are you on a budget? Would you prefer an all in one plug and play system or build your own? Lastly is there a specific fish that you "must have"?

I going to get a fowlr. My budget is up to 500 dollars. And I think I should get all in one plug. The fish I know one would be a clownfish and a damsel

4127john said:
I going to get a fowlr. My budget is up to 500 dollars. And I think I should get all in one plug. The fish I know one would be a clownfish and a damsel

You could try CL for good deals on a bc 29 cause 500 is cutting it close with all brand new.

4127john said:

Be careful with the damsels. Could very well possibly get fAirly aggresive and cause issues. Id start watching craigslist like a hawk. You will score some insane deals on there.

Wouldn't recommend a damsel as they are aggressive towards other fish and hard to catch! I also agree go on craigslist and look for a biocube 29. Or you could buy one off of marinedepot.com new for $260 I think, then get a 30 lb bag of sand ($30), and 30 lbs of dry rock for about $60-90. I used BRS pukani dry rock and love it! Very porous and worth the money. Also I've seen good reviews on marcorocks so that's another option, and they are cheaper. That comes out to be $350-$380 and the rest can be for livestock (or/and corals b/c you would get power compact lights w/ the biocube which can grow some corals *nudge nudge*). :brows:

I'm okay I'm gonna go to the pet store any just buy everything. I think the pet store owner can give me cycled water

4127john said:
I'm okay I'm gonna go to the pet store any just buy everything. I think the pet store owner can give me cycled water

The water doesn't contain the needed bacteria. That will be found on surfaces such as filter pads, bio balls, sand, and live rock.

Oh so it's a lot cheaper in the Internet ok that seems better. So can I mix one clownfish two chromis and one tang???

4127john said:
Oh so it's a lot cheaper in the Internet ok that seems better. So can I mix one clownfish two chromis and one tang???

Tangs need a 6'+ tank other then a select few which are ok in 75s.

Hmmm if I get live rock from my lf thats already been underwater and take it him does that consider as me having bacteria or what

And items at the lfs are almost always more expensive. I've seen a lot marked up double...go online and order things, best money saver, and you'll have more money left for fish instead of just spending it all on a tank and rock.

The live rock has bacteria, but when you put the LR in your tank, the die off creates ammonia which starts the cycle, but it is probably too little of ammonia. I recommend putting in a table shrimp in a net and letting it decay or adding pure ammonia if you don't want the stench.

Chromis are a type of damsel and are still a bit aggressive. I would stay with gobies, clowns, dartfish, or blennies.

Back
Top Bottom