starter package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rngrjt

Aquarium Advice Regular
being new to the whole reef thing should i start the tank off with a few reef safe fish then add corals slowly or the other way around. Also when should i send in the clean up crew? and in what over would i add them.
another question i have is should i add the corals slowly like fish or do they not affect my bio load in the same way as fish do. thanks

How long has your tank been up and running for? How much LR do you have? I would start with the reef safe fish when your cycle is over and add them slowly to make sure that your water quality doesnt get out of wack. After about 6 months you could start adding corals if your water is stable enough to do so. No, corals don't have the same bioload and affect on the water as fish. HTH

just in the process of starting the tank.. cycle is in progress as we speak... lr i have about 60-70 lbs. 6 month before corals... wow... i was hoping to get some before then... is there a reason why i have to wait that long ? if the water parameters are correct that is

Your tank needs to settle down and catch up with itself before you add corals. Also you need to have a strong lighting to keep any corals. HTH

I don't personally think you need to wait 6 months before getting corals. You do however need a stable system and 6 months can be the time frame for some to stabalize their system, but it's not always the case with every system. The key is to have worked out all the kinks before adding corals, and to have next to zero fluctuations in your parameters. I would aim for 1.025 for your SG if you plan on corals.

Now don't take what I say about corals and jump in soon.... Do allow yourself the time to stabalize your tank. Corals are expensive and it's not worth the risk to jump the gun.

I would also add your clean up crew after your cycle is done and your nitrates are around 10ppm. You could stock a couple of fish shortly after the cycle and wait until your tank starts to look "lived in" before adding the clean up crew just to ensure they have something to eat.

I agree with ryguy.

Its up with you if you want to add fish before corals or vise versa. I've seen a few of your threads, but before I go recommending corals what type of lighting do you have? How deep is the tank? Ect......

After about 6 months you could start adding corals if your water is stable enough to do so.
Six months is a bit of a streatch. I would say that if after a couple of very stable months you may begin adding some hardier, easy to care for corals.
Also you need to have a strong lighting to keep any corals.
Well, stronger then NO lights anyways. Can you describe your current or planned lighting system? The corals you will be able to keep will depend on the light you put over them. There is a wise variety of low, medium and high light corals.

I don't personally think you need to wait 6 months before getting corals. You do however need a stable system and 6 months can be the time frame for some to stabalize their system, but it's not always the case with every system.

That was what I meant. :) I just figured that was the average time for tanks to become stable enough to add corals.

hey ryguy is there a matrix that i can plug in my measurements and figure out my tank size for my other tank or are you a math wizard... the second tank FOWLR is suppose to be a 90 gal.

Some people go the FOWLR route, then after a year, transition into corals while removing non reef-compatible specimen. One good benefit of that is that it allows your tank system to develop a good amount of bacterial colony. And they are the one keeping things stable to the point where you won't even need your Ammonia and Nitrite testers....forever, if not.

With that said, some people start their Nanos and Picos out without a long wait. So it's possible for reef to be conceived in less than six months if you know what you are doing. Especially in your case, you've been a fresh water hobbyist for a long time now, to the point where you fully understand water parameters already.

I say, yes, you can have a go at it since you know what's up.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom