Starter Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it practicle to use my 6gal Eclipse as a refuigum?

Could it be mounted next to the 46gal display tank and how would it pick-up water and discharge back into the display tank?

I would not try it, since the way I have my refugium structured is with a pump inside the refugium that pumps the water back up to the tank and by having a 6 gallon tank its not enough to get the benefits of lowering nitrates.

They are acrylic and could be drilled so if kept higher then the main it would be easy to pump water into it and have it gravity feed back into the main. (Install a 1” bulkhead near the top)

I think a 6 gal refugium would still be more beneficial then not having one at all IMO.

Maybe I'll wait on this and consider a refugium retro-fit kit for a spare 10gal tank that is lying around. Not sure if it will fit near the display tank yet. I could put it on a shelf but the weight is a real concern.

Any opinions on mud bottom verse deep live sand? Macroalgea sounds easy but pods are another question. Don't the little buggers just get pumped/drained out of the refugium and into the display tank? Are bristle worms advantageous to the refuge and display tank health?

Back
Top Bottom