Starter SW tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
We had a SW presentation at the local meeting which was really interesting. They suggested a starter tank of minimum 150 litres (40 gallons) and Red Sea tanks as a good all in one package.

Was wondering if that made sense. I know larger tanks would be great but was thinking of just a small tank just on space.

I’d say 20-29 gallons is a good starting size. Red Sea tanks are super $$$. Honestly setting up your own first tank and not buying an aio system first is the way to go. You can learn more on how the system works that way.

A 40 Breeder is a nice started tank but if you can go bigger I would do it. The more water volume you have the better it is. A larger water volume is more foregiving if you make a mistake. Smaller volume need more attention to keep your parameters on point. I keep 100 Gallon Mixed reef tank at work and I used to keep a 300 Gallon at home. My 300 took less work than my 100. Just my .2cts

True, true - it’s just that space is going to be a problem most likely. Not too small but will have to be small which is going to be a real shame but might get something going in SW for something different. Especially if I have to pack away the 150gal high-tech planted. One of the guys was doing pico tanks around 5 gallons I think - definitely not that small [emoji854]

A 40 Breeder is a nice started tank but if you can go bigger I would do it. The more water volume you have the better it is. A larger water volume is more foregiving if you make a mistake. Smaller volume need more attention to keep your parameters on point. I keep 100 Gallon Mixed reef tank at work and I used to keep a 300 Gallon at home. My 300 took less work than my 100. Just my .2cts

^^^ THIS ^^^
Upgrading a marine tank size with stock already in the old tank is a totally different animal then freshwater switch overs...
If you have corals or inverts already you are not going to enjoy having to upgrade..
More water ,more fun...(y)

I'd say go as big as you can afford/space allows. Incorporate a sump for added volume. These things have a tendency to snowball into larger projects;)

Great idea - I clean forgot about a sump. Ok, will keep an eye out for going as large as possible on tank. Less work and being able to upgrade sounds attractive as well [emoji106]

Depending on where you live, if price is a concern, I would consider going on craigslist. I'm live close to a fairly urban area, and have found some crazy deals, including a 55 with stand, tank, and live rock for 175, and a 60 with tank stand, fish, live rock, skimmers, etc for $150! With a little bit of patience and maybe some time to drive a bit, its definitely a way to save money.

Was wondering if that made sense. I know larger tanks would be great but was thinking of just a small tank just on space.

Make sense to me, but bear in mind I've never kept a marine aquarium. But I gather stable water chemistry is even more important on the salty side of things, and the larger the volume of water, the more resistant to sudden change it is. A 40 seems to be a good compromise between size and "still fits in your apartment."

Those Red Sea all in one units are very tempting.

Back
Top Bottom