startin new reef in used 58 g Oceanic r.r. tank, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zuzecawi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all... I had a 29g reef tank for 4 years previously, had to get rid of it when I went Army... now I'm back home and have the post Iraq spending itch. I bought a used 58gal oceanic reef ready tank, with a sump (4-6 gal, I got six in it but it might be overfull?) and protein skimmer. I have two heaters on it, a 300w and a 100w (my house is VERY cold, its a remodeled garage, concrete floor) I can photo it if somebody shows me how to post pics. Its got about 40lbs live sand, guy had it set up w/damsels when I bought it and I moved it w/ two five g jugs of its water. Tried to level it but my house is pretty crooked, so its a bit off level. I filled it w/ water, 1.022 gravity, (I always kept my other tank from 022 - 023 and did fine) and its running now, empty other than the sand. I ordered 40lbs lr from liverocks.com, 20 base, 10 keys, 10 gulf. I know I'll need a LOT more rock, but my spending spree is screechin to a halt with new baby costs (well worth the cost!). The sump is filled w/ bio balls. I planned on addin the rock and lettin it sit for two months, than adding another 40lbs lr w/tax return money, letting it alone another month, than adding fish. My last tank was all coral, shrimp, arrow crabs, spiny reef lobster, two fire gobies, and one damsel. This tank I'd like to have more fish, more emphasis on pretty fish, maybe a couple hard corals, plenty soft, possibly some gorgonians and a sea horse. Okay, so I can live without sea horses, but they're so darn cool.
So my questions... how feasible is this? Should I drain the tank and try to get it more level before adding live rock? Am I bein over cautious on cycling time? Should I switch the bioballs for live rock? live rock rubble? What types of fish can I keep in a tank this small? Are oceanics good tanks? How long do they usually last? Also, there's a white calcium like deposit on the glass, I've scraped some off because I like to be able to look in on all sides, but what IS it? Seems to have algal blooms on it too, reddish brown and a trace of green. How long should I leave the lights on?(2 big flourescent tubes, a reptisun reef and a aqua-glo) I plan on buying pc lighting for this, any suggestions as to size?

Thank you all for your help.

Am I bein over cautious on cycling
No, it is nice to fins someone that is not rushing things.
Should I switch the bioballs for live rock? live rock rubble?
Yes, LR rubble in the sump is a way better biofilter media then bioballs.
What types of fish can I keep in a tank this small?
You have lots of options. Dwarf angels (watch them with corals), royal gramma, clowns, gobies and lots of other stuff. Not to mention all osrts of cool invets.
Are oceanics good tanks? How long do they usually last?
Yes, it will you a very long time, baring any accidents.
the algea bloom is a normal part of the cycling process. PC lighing should be okay for you. How wide is the tank? You really do not need the lights on during the cycling process, it may actually be contributing to your algea problem. 3-4hrs a day is plenty.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

okay, these tanks are advertised as 36.5 x 18.5 x 21.5 with a center brace. Mine has no center brace as far as I can tell, should I go have one made and put it on it?
Could it have been sold to me because its nearing some imminent explosion? Now this may just be induced paranoia but I think it may be bowing a little. 8O
BTW thanks for the welcome in!

The white on the glass could possibly be some coraline that had grown on the glass while he had it running and has since died off. I'd scrape it off, personally, but I like to see clean tank walls. Your plan sounds great. Good luck!

I have been scraping it off, its kinda annoying. I always kept the walls on my little tank spotless, and I don't see any reason to stop now. I really miss that little 29, it was so good looking, but I'm excited to have more room and the technology available now is just awesome!

Back
Top Bottom