Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2004, 10:03 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
it is the hard stuff they use for ug filters. i ahve a ton of it around the house but never really used it.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:01 AM   #22
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthoeny
The airline tubing siphoning isn't quite ringing a bell lol... :P Pic would def help!
Gonna need to wait on this 'till tomorrow night, roomates out with the camera. Sorry about that.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-16-2004, 07:06 AM   #23

No prob
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #24

In the meantime, while you're getting that pic for me on "rigid airline tubing" (How do I 'siphon' with airline tubing?) ... I have a question about HOB filters on qtanks...

A few posts back, when I asked about cleaning Qtanks or whatever, and asked what to do with the HOB used on the qtank when I put it away, you said

Quote:
If you use any meds, might be an idea to just reserve the HOB as a QT only filter to prevent mishaps down the road. If copper is used at any point then it should definately remain QT filter.
If I do use any medications on the QT tank, after putting it away, tossing the used filter media and letting airdry for some time, I still don't put it back on the display tank for a week (one of the first steps of the quarantine process) with media in it, and then transfer it over to the QT tank? How do I get 'seeded' (from the display tank) media etc, over to the QT tank then?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:25 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
you can make the same moonlight for $10 if you're crafty. Check out the diy section.

Jim
Old 03-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #26
steve-s

Quote:
In the meantime, while you're getting that pic for me on "rigid airline tubing" (How do I 'siphon' with airline tubing?)
The same way you would use a hose to syphon water out when doing water changes or "borrowing" gas from the neighbours car. . Only difference is to be sure to allow the rigid tubing to suck out any food or detritus that has fallen to the bottom of the tank. The attached flex airline tubing drains into a watse bucket and dumped.

Quote:
... I have a question about HOB filters on qtanks...

A few posts back, when I asked about cleaning Qtanks or whatever, and asked what to do with the HOB used on the qtank when I put it away, you said

Quote:
If you use any meds, might be an idea to just reserve the HOB as a QT only filter to prevent mishaps down the road. If copper is used at any point then it should definately remain QT filter.
If I do use any medications on the QT tank, after putting it away, tossing the used filter media and letting airdry for some time, I still don't put it back on the display tank for a week (one of the first steps of the quarantine process) with media in it, and then transfer it over to the QT tank? How do I get 'seeded' (from the display tank) media etc, over to the QT tank then?
If you purchase another HOB to run independantly, then you can simpley "steal" the media from the HOB on the main tank and place it in the HOB on the Q tank or double up the media on the main tank. That is if you use the media for the mian tank. You can just add it a week before needed when buying new fish if you don't. You can easily go from the display tank to the QT but never the other way around.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-16-2004, 10:06 PM   #27

Hmm
Instead of bothering with the rigid airline (which I still don't fully understand how to do..which part would I suck to get water up and how would it go back down into the bucket for disposal etc?:S) to remove detritus from the Q-tank, could I just go with a regular Gravel Vac and remove the excess food etc and perform a water change at the same time?

Thanks so much for all your help, steve-s!
Old 03-16-2004, 11:38 PM   #28
steve-s

Quote:
Hmm
Instead of bothering with the rigid airline (which I still don't fully understand how to do..which part would I suck to get water up and how would it go back down into the bucket for disposal etc?:S)
The flexible hose end....

Quote:
to remove detritus from the Q-tank, could I just go with a regular Gravel Vac and remove the excess food etc and perform a water change at the same time?
You could but this is something that must be done after each feeding or when you see anything "foreign" that needs removing. When feeding every other day, it could be fairly disruptive to the fish. Here's the pic, mabye that will help.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-17-2004, 07:05 AM   #29

Ohhhhh

I see now(I think)! You just put the rigid airline tubing down into the water, suck up on the flexible tubing end, then before the water reaches the top, you take the rigid part out and dump water into bucket, performing a water change as well as removing detritus?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:24 AM   #30

Along with the previous question concerning how to suck out detritus with rigid tubing, I think I've put together a comprehensive process for quarantining that I'd like some feedback on:
---------
Quarantine Tank(left running all the time...much easier than continually having to take it down, then set it back up again etc):
10g tank
50w Heater
Powerhead (to keep pH at 8.2)
Eggcrate lid
-Hold wanted fish at pet store
-Run a HOB Filter [filter floss media] on the main tank for a week
-Fill q-tank with water from main tank
-Add ornaments for fish to hide (Pipes)
-After a week, transfer HOB to Q-tank
Adding fish to q-tank:
-Acclimate normally, drip q-tank water into bag until 4x amount of original water
-Net fish into Q-tank
-Leave there for 3-4 wks.
-Do frequent water changes from a DIFFERENT bucket than main tank(water param kept same in both buckets)
-Feed sparingly, bi-daily
-Siphon extra food out with rigid airline tubing
~
>Upon using meds, before quarantining or treating fish again:
Clean HOB and 10g tank by:
-Soaking in vinegar and hot water ~12 hours
-Empty
-Soak in hot water~12 hours
-Soak in hot water ~12 hours again

-Fill up tank again with water from Main tank
-Turn heater on (no water changes when unstocked....top off water when necessary)
-Leave HOB filter off
-When QT tank is needed again, put in seeded filter floss from Main tank into QT tank HOB
---------

Any corrections to be made in there?? :P

Tags
nano, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com