Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #1

Starting 10g nano... !

Hey everyone!
I'm relatively new on this site, although I have been browsing around here for a few months

I've been keeping fw tanks for quite some time, but now I think I'm ready to take the nanoreef plunge! heh
I am planning a 10g nano setup now, and I have a checklist made that I'd like some feedback on

-10g standard tank
-Aragonite sand- 2-3"
-Live rock, cured- ~10 lbs
-Hydrometer
-Heater 50w Tronic
-Two powerheads For [Hagen] Powerheads, would 2 AquaClear Power Head 2000's be good?
-Aquaclear HOB filter
-Aqualight 1-96W Power Compact (coralife 96w 50/50 4 tube quad lamp) *on legs
-Instant Ocean Salt
-Marine Buffer [if necessary]

Livestock:
1 or 2 Percula Clowns
A Cleaner Shrimp
5 Astrea Snails
...Additions?
Corals to be kept: Mushrooms, Polyps, Toadstools, Colts, Devils Hand, Xenia .....

A-OK to start buying equip and such?
Any prelim tips/suggestions/helpful thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 AM   #2
steve-s

A good starting point but a couple of suggestions.

The HOB is fine but I would not use any floss media in it. Just some carbon, chemi-pure or a polyfilter once in awhile to polish the water. The polyfilter would probabley be the better idea as it will not introduce PO4. If you increased the rock another 5 lbs or so, you will have all the biofiltration you need provided the tank is cycled properly.

If you can find them, I would suggest two Mini Jet 606's instead or the Hagens. Might be a bit more reliable.

The lighting may also cause you some heat issues with a 96w lamp. You would actually be just fine with a 65 w. Where you planning on one of the shorter power quad bulbs?

I would also steer clear of the of the IO salts with a smaller tank. They have been repeatedly reported to have above normaly high alk reading which in a smaller tank could easily spell disaster. I would instead suggest Kent or Tropic Marine.

The rest of what you propose sounds fine. I would suggest if you get the clowns, stick to the more peaceful smaller growing species and add both at the same time. If available, get them as small as possible as well.

Good Luck!!
Cheers
Steve
Old 03-14-2004, 10:44 AM   #3

8) After much revision, how does this sound?

10g nano reef -Checklist!
-10g standard tank
-Aragonite sand, 2-3"
-Live rock -cured, 12-15 lbs.
-Two-piece Glass top
-Hydrometer
-50w Heater
-Two Mini Jet 606 powerheads
-Aquaclear HOB filter
-Polyfilter
-Coralife Aqualight- 1-96w Power Compact (96w 50/50 4-tube quad lamp)
-Light Timer
-Custom SeaLife MoonLite
-Kent Marine SeaSalt
-Marine Buffer (if necess)

1 Percula Clownfish
1 Six-line Wrasse
1 Cleaner Shrimp
6 Astrea Snails
3 Blue Leg Hermits

Corals:
Mushrooms, Polyps, Toadstools, Colt Corals, Devils Hand Leather, Xenia ...

Old 03-14-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
steve-s

All good but again the 96w may cause you some heat issues. Be sure it does not rest on the tank rim. It will need to be elevated a few inches above the tank to allow for better air flow for cooling. A small clip fan may also be needed. The glass top is definately a no-no. It will trap too much CO2 and heat which in a small tank is very bad. I would instead suggest some eggcrate material that should be available from your local HD's lighting dept. Very sturdy stuff and the holes are small enough to prevent fish jumping but large enough to allow in most of the light and the heat out/CO2.

Also be aware that the six-line is an aggressive hunter and will decimate your pod polulation in a short time. Pods are very beneficial detrivours, especially for smaller tanks. I also think you will have aggression issues with the clown in such a small space.

Why the change of mind on the fish selection?

Don't forget the necessary tests as well. ph, NH3, NO2, NO3 and possibley alk.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-14-2004, 03:21 PM   #5

Thanks again for the reply

-I'll make sure to mount the lamp on legs above tank
-"Eggcrate material" (what exactly is that lol...some sort of plastic with holes?) instead of glass

Oh and the fish selection change
No real reason for the change, just wanted to see what the feedback was if I were to go with 1 Perc and the six-line.
I will probably just go with 2 percs
For curiosity sake, for some fish variety, what is another fish I could put in there along with 1 Perc Clown ?

Oh I forgot to put the marine test kit on the list 8) Still meant to get it, though!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:39 AM   #6

?

Old 03-15-2004, 11:10 AM   #7
steve-s

Sorry Anthoeny, busy day yesterday

Eggcrate is a plastic grate material used in office lighting with fluorescent tubes. Works amazingly well for the tops of tanks as it can be cut to just about any shape.

There are very few if any other fish I would suggest adding wth the clown for a 10 gal tank. The small space means there is a much higher chance of aggressiveness unless in the case of a mated pair. Personally I would not do it but other smaller species like sharknose or neon goby might work okay. Any midrange swimmer would be asking for trouble. Only a fish that stays 1-2" at adult size and is not really an active swimmer would work.

Cheers
Steve
Old 03-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #8

Thanks again!

-So (1) Percula Clownfish and (1) Sharknose Goby Gobiosoma evelynae should do fine? How should I introduce them [after the cycle]...which one first?

-Hmm... just for my own reference:P, could you maybe find a site with a picture of eggcrate so I know exactly what I'm looking for? That would certainly help!

-With the intended clean-up crew: 1 Cleaner Shrimp and 6 Astrea Snails (i think im gonna stay away from hermits... to avoid the chance they'd chown down on the snails ?) Is that a sufficient cleanup crew? Additions?

-With the MoonLite(s) mentioned in my to-get list, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...0&N=2004+113030 (the moonlight that screws into the lamp) would I leave the moonlite plugged in all the time and only have the Main lamp on a timer?

-And with (2) Mini Jet 606 Powerheads and an Aquaclear (MINI or 150) for flow, would that be too much [Any other Powerhead suggestions?]
Old 03-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #9

Hm.

For some unknown reason, the site with the MoonLite on it does not wish to cooperate

So I'll attach a pic of the moonLite I'm referring to:
Old 03-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #10

MoonLite:

Tags
nano, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com