Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, live is fine. As you said before, it probably isn't live anyway, so make sure you rinse it thoroughly or you will have a milky mess in there that will take a while to clear up.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
Alright, live is fine. As you said before, it probably isn't live anyway, so make sure you rinse it thoroughly or you will have a milky mess in there that will take a while to clear up.
How does one rinse this? I am buying it today...I was just going to leave to get it

Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you have a bathtub or deep sink in your house, you can just pour it into a bucket and place the bucket under the faucet. Let the faucet run until the water overflowing is almost clear. You won't get everything out, but it will reduce the amount of time it takes for the dust to settle in the tank.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #14

Or get a pillowcase and fill it then run the water through it
Old 07-07-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

New question about liquid test kits.

I have found two different kits via Foster's and Smith.
Saltwater Master
Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Liquid Test Kit
versus Reef Master
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=15473

There is only a couple dollars difference in price . The master is the parallel to my freshwater test kit and measures pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate while the Reef Master measures calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate, and nitrate.

Is there a reason to get one over the other for a nano setup? What will be the most important things that I should monitor closest? I have current been using dry sticks while my tank is getting started and cycling. I don't have money to buy both right now, so the one that is most essential would be very helpful to know.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:01 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used API Reef and Saltwater kits on my 20G and didn't have a problem with them. If you have a good experience with API with the freshwater kit, why switch? The solutions for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are the same for both, you just need the color cards if I remember correctly. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are most important as of now. When you first add fish, then you need to start testing for pH. Once your tank gets established after a good half year or so, them need to test frequently goes down IME.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
I used API Reef and Saltwater kits on my 20G and didn't have a problem with them. If you have a good experience with API with the freshwater kit, why switch? The solutions for ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are the same for both, you just need the color cards if I remember correctly. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite are most important as of now. When you first add fish, then you need to start testing for pH. Once your tank gets established after a good half year or so, them need to test frequently goes down IME.
So...the freshwater and saltwater kits are the same except for the colour cards? oh brother...

But that is good, so I only need to get my hands on digital or physical cards from a saltwater kit?

My freshwater kit has ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH high and low solutions. So I will use that for all of my tanks. Do you think it is worth it to get the reef kit for a nano?

Thanks again Thom for the good info
Old 07-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm pretty sure they are the same solutions because I remember comparing the results between the freshwater and saltwater kits, and when using the saltwater cards they had the same results. The reef kit contains Nitrate, calcium, high range pH, and I think kH.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldn't buy the reef kit yet. Wait till after you get your tank up and running and get some corals in there. If your corals do good and continue to grow, really no need for the reef kit, unless you move onto more advanced harder to keep coral
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Will do

On this same topic, I found this site that has scanned images of the saltwater colour cards.

Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit charts

The colours for the freshwater are a bit off, but mostly okay except the nitrite card, which is really wonky. I assume the saltwater might be the same, but was wondering if someone could compare for me before I use this as my indicator. Are the salt water scans close?

I plan to call API tomorrow and see if I can just buy the cards from them. We shall see if they allow me to get the cards alone.

Tags
nano, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com