Starting 10g Nano Slowly: Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Will do :)

On this same topic, I found this site that has scanned images of the saltwater colour cards.

Downloads; Pump and filter Instructions, Test Kit charts

The colours for the freshwater are a bit off, but mostly okay except the nitrite card, which is really wonky. I assume the saltwater might be the same, but was wondering if someone could compare for me before I use this as my indicator. Are the salt water scans close?

I plan to call API tomorrow and see if I can just buy the cards from them. We shall see if they allow me to get the cards alone.

Just my $.02 here... but I'd be worried about relying on tests that were compared to a chart you printed off. Colors vary by printer and paper. I swear I've seen somebody say that the color cards for each kit can vary based on the solution. Thom is right about them being the same solution, but I'm thinking the salt is what throws the colors off, which is why the cards have different shades for sw and fw.

Just my $.02 here... but I'd be worried about relying on tests that were compared to a chart you printed off. Colors vary by printer and paper. I swear I've seen somebody say that the color cards for each kit can vary based on the solution. Thom is right about them being the same solution, but I'm thinking the salt is what throws the colors off, which is why the cards have different shades for sw and fw.

Totally agree. I am just trying to test my water until I get some real ones from API. I will call them tomorrow and ask if I can buy them. My kit is two months old, as I just bought a new one, so they should be able to give me cards, even if I have to pay a small fee. But until then, I have been trying to track my pH, ammonia and nitrites while my tank is cycling.

I guess it might take them a week before I could get em...otherwise I would have to just buy a whole new kit :/ that I don't need.

I know imma prob have some arguers on this, but you should be able to use that link to get a very very basic idea of where your parameters sit. Again, In no way should you take them as concrete, but a guideline, you'll def know if somethings heading off the charts

yes, I compared my freshwater cards to those on the link and they all look OK except the nitrites which are in a different cooler color range.

I just want someone to compare their API saltwater cards and tell me if the saltwater colors are off.

I emailed the helpdesk of API already to request real saltwater cards, but they take 3-4 days to respond to you and I just want to track my ammonia and nitrites while my tank is cycling until I get my own real cards.

I just want to know if the saltwater scans look OK to others. I am certain that I will have a nitrite spike within the next few days to week and I want to make sure that I can track it :/

Negligent_Inmate has provided you with good suggestions. The only thing I have to add is that if you get LPS corals, at the very least you should grab the calcium test. I will see if I can find my cards in the morning and compare them if someone hasn't already done so. Keep in mind though, the colors shown on your screen may not match those perfectly on mine due to backlight, brightness, and other factors.

Last edited:
Simple favor fulfilled :D

My friend brought me his extra cards as he is a long time hobbyist and I was on his way to work. Now I can track my cycle :).

I also woke up to this email response, for anyone who might need saltwater cards for themselves. This was the email response from API help desk. :D

Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.
Kai you can get a replacement set of cards by sending in a $2 check to:
Mars Fishcare
50 East Hamilton Street
Chalfont, PA 18914
Attention: Brian in Technical Services
Include a brief letter stating the type of color cards that you need and include your return mailing address. Once we receive your letter a set of color cards will be sent in the mail. The $2 will cover shipping and handling for the color cards.
If you have any other questions or wish to discuss this further, please email back or give us a call at 1-800-847-0659.
Best Regards,
Nathan Fekula
Technical Service and Research
Mars Fishcare

Back
Top Bottom