Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-05-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

starting 46 gallon bow front

I am very experienced with freshwater raising American cichlids to African cichlids (currently)... I got a 46 gallon bow front i am making into a reef system and plan to have fish aswell... Haven't bought any equipment yet but what do you guys suggest for that size.... I have done lots and lots of research so i have a pretty good idea of what i need...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex91 View Post
I am very experienced with freshwater raising American cichlids to African cichlids (currently)... I got a 46 gallon bow front i am making into a reef system and plan to have fish aswell... Haven't bought any equipment yet but what do you guys suggest for that size.... I have done lots and lots of research so i have a pretty good idea of what i need...
Anybody??

Old 01-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm running a 46 mixed reef with a 20 long sump. 6 bulb tek elite t5 fixture with a combined flow around 2500 gph in the DT. Do you know what kind of stock you would like to keep because that can effect the cost of setup drastically.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
I'm running a 46 mixed reef with a 20 long sump. 6 bulb tek elite t5 fixture with a combined flow around 2500 gph in the DT. Do you know what kind of stock you would like to keep because that can effect the cost of setup drastically.
I was planning on getting some softies to start out with,,, i was going a4 bulb setup would be ok... Thinking about adding a maroon gold striped clown... Maybe a freckled hawkish, couple other fish I'm looking at.. Not sure what combo i will get,,, what kind if stick do you keep?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:

I was planning on getting some softies to start out with,,, i was going a4 bulb setup would be ok... Thinking about adding a maroon gold striped clown... Maybe a freckled hawkish, couple other fish I'm looking at.. Not sure what combo i will get,,, what kind if stick do you keep?
Do you have any pictures?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's my thread.

MRC's 46 Gallon BF Thread
Old 01-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Those maroon clowns are aggressive. Like a big damsel. They're one of my favorite clowns, but most people who get them have a 6-8 foot tank. They certainly dont need a tank of this size, but in smaller tanks your other stock may be severely harassed.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychocircus91 View Post

Those maroon clowns are aggressive. Like a big damsel. They're one of my favorite clowns, but most people who get them have a 6-8 foot tank. They certainly dont need a tank of this size, but in smaller tanks your other stock may be severely harassed.
Very true but if only keeping one the aggression should be a lot lower then if there were a pair so I wouldn't be to concerned about it unless the rest of the stock is gonna be small gobys. Now if you want to do a pair on the other hand I would stick to semi aggressive small fish to keep the maroons like some type of wrasse or maybe a basslet.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post

Very true but if only keeping one the aggression should be a lot lower then if there were a pair so I wouldn't be to concerned about it unless the rest of the stock is gonna be small gobys. Now if you want to do a pair on the other hand I would stick to semi aggressive small fish to keep the maroons like some type of wrasse or maybe a basslet.
I hear that the freckled hawkish at pretty aggressive too.. I read in tropical fish hobbyist they can't even be with other hawkish because they will keep fighting
Old 01-12-2013, 04:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I hear that the freckled hawkish at pretty aggressive too.. I read in tropical fish hobbyist they can't even be with other hawkish because they will keep fighting
That's the case with most saltwater fish.

In general (there are always exceptions) more than one pair of clowns will fight, more than one firefish will fight, more than one trigger, more than one eel, more than one damsel, etc. you name it.

Tags
46 gallon, 6 gallon, bow front, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com