Starting 55gal SW can you help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bschnuck

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i plan i starting up a 55gal SW FOWLR tank. I currently have @ 50lbs of live rock cured and ready to go, i also have @ 40-50lbs of live rock that came out of another tank a few months ago, was kept in SW, but only at room temp, @ 65 degrees so im sure it died off. I was going to hook up a canister filter to aid in the filtration along with a 3-4 inch live sand bed, but after reading some of the posts in here it sounds like going with a canister filter may not be the best choice, and i should only hook up a few power heads to push the water. I plan on putting "heartier" fish in the tank, no corals, and nothing too senstive. Given what i want to do with the tank, what would be the opinions of others on how best to set this tank up? Thanks.

Sorry to add to my own question, but, as far as fish go what hearty fish would you recommend. I ran a 29g with some pick thing, clown fish and damsels for 3 years, but id like to get some more colorful fish. Had a tang, lasted 8 months before ick got it, not doing that again. Flame angels sound like they are pretty hearty according to this website, any other angels that can be mixed with that, bi-color, coral beauty? How hearty are butterflies? Any fish will be added after the cycling process is complete and slowly over time, i just want to be able to plan and reseacrh what the best options are for me.

Also, as far as a clean up crew, i have a starfish id like to transfer from my other tank, aside from snails and crabs, are there any other good cleaners that i should be sure to add? Thanks again

The tang's ich was probobally partially contributed by the small size of the first tank. A 29 is way to small for a tang.

Dwarf angels should be kept 1 to a tank. Mixing could cause agression issues. Specificly flame angels can be very hearty as long as you get a healthy fish to begin with. Way to many flame angels are still caught using cianide and the mortality rate is very high with that kind of capture. If you find a flame thats eating well at the LFS and is freely swimming around infront of everyone thats a good sign. If you find one sulking behind decorations and not eating well then stay away.

Some species of butterfly fish are not hearty at all yet others will fair ok in a larger tank. A 55 gal tank still may be to small for a butterfly.

Unless you plan on using the canister as a water movement device there is really no need for it as a filter since you will have 90-100lbs of live rock an a 3" sand bed doing the filtration for you. Add to the list a good quality skimmer and a few powerheads and you have yourself a FOWLR setup.

Back
Top Bottom