Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Starting a 10 gal

Hey guys I'm starting a little 10 gal. I'm going to make it a reef. The only question I have is can my cycle start without a substrate, cause I was going to go to the lfs and buy some sand, but instead ordered Aragamax at Dr Foster and Smith. It won't be here till next week. I already have the water in the tank mixed with 5lbs of LR and no sand will that be OK?

Old 02-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your cycle will start slowly but you need a better source of ammonia to really start it. Read the article about fishless cycling.. please don't use live fish to cycle your tank. You probably need at least another 5 lbs of live rock...

Have questions about satellite tv? Visit us at http://www.dbstalk.com
neilster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

yeah i'm ordering 15 lbs here on monday but i started it and wish i would've waited until i got my sand. I was hoping all the lr i get will help start the cycle and meybe i'll put a shrimp in the there. The lr i have in there is from my other tank i have. i was just wondering if the cycle would start without the sand or not. my other tank is a year old. I can't test for ammonia or trites i ran out of test packets which i didn't know until i went to test. so them are in with the sand order. I will post a pic of the tank, give me a min

Tags
starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com