Starting a 20G saltwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kinetix

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a veteran freshwater aquarist but I've never ever dabbled in saltwater aquaria. I need some advice. I've got a spare 20G tank and it needs to be filled.

Does a tank as small as 20G really need a protein skimmer? Smaller skimmers are apparently expensive and ineffective, and larger skimmers can be ridiculously large compared to the tank itself. If I absolutely have to, is the Aquarium Systems VisiJet any good or is it just junk?

Is Arag-Alive Reef Sand worth the price or can I use something like Carib-Sea Tahitian Moon Sand?

Well most recommend starting with larger than a 20 if it is your first tank. Not that it can't be done, it will just be more difficult for many reasons just so you are aware.

As far as a protein skimmer, some do not use, and some do. It really depends what you want to do ie. reef, fowlr, what filtration method you will be using....That skimmer is probably not to good but I do not know first hand. If you were going reef, a skimmer is a must IMO.

Dry aragonite sand is much cheaper and will become live eventually when seeded with live rock.

Ask with more information as far as what you plan to do and how you plan to setup your tank and people will be able to give more specific advice.

Good luck and Welcome.

WELCOME TO THE SW SIDE!!!

Please don't cycle with live animals.

What are your plans? FOWLR or reef?

To answer alot of your questions you`ll need to decide what your plans are. After your plan is set then we can move on.

LR and skimmer is what I recommend. Live sand also . But you can add dry sand to your tank and the LR will make it live. I used it but I really wonder how "live" the agralive sand is.

Back
Top Bottom