Starting a 20Gallon SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhuth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I'm a longtime FW tank owner that has had success. I am looking to start off a SW tank this summer. As a college student, I will be on a very limited budget. I have the basic necessities of a FW tank including a 20G tank, light, heater, filter, etc. I am wondering what sort of investment I will be getting into if I undertake the most beginner friendly and basic SW tank I can. Under $300?

Thanks!
Rob

What kind of filter will you be using? A protein skimmer and RO/DI unit will be your biggest expenses. Neither one is a absolutely necessary but the RO unit will save you $ in the long run and a skimmer is highly recommended. Under $300 will be tough by the time you get rock , sand, refractometer (much better then hydrometer) test kits ect.

My biggest concern is cost. If there is something I can live without when setting up the tank that will not burn me on cost in the long run I would love to opt out of it. However, I obviously want to set up a healthy system. I have a basic FW top-fin power filter and being new, I have no idea if this is acceptable for saltwater.

It can be if you run a skimmer with it. You can get a decent skimmer for around $150. Their are cheaper skimmers out there but you would be wasting your $. Most if them are worthless You can get salt water and top off water from a local fish store for a while. It gets old quick tho. You can also used distilled water for top off but it's about $1 a gallon. You would probably need a good couple gallons a week. It starts adding up.

Back
Top Bottom