Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I let my tank run all weekend and everything is good, except I have horrible white (salt?) accumulation in areas on the inside of the glass. My specific gravity was a little on the high side at first, but I adjusted it down to 1.026. Maybe it being high at first caused the deposits.

I got my LR today and put it in the tank. It looks neat, lots of coralline algae, smelled fresh like the ocean...but no picture because you can barely see in the tank from the buildup! I don't want to use my scraper from my FW tank on this one, so I ordered a new one along with some other stuff. Hopefully it gets here soon!

I think the 15lbs is too little after all. I guess shouldn't have listened to that info from PA! I think I may just get some dry rock and let my LR seed it instead of ordering more LR.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

I ended up getting 15 more lbs of the manado LR from PA. I decided it looked too cool and I wanted more chances of getting some critters. This time I got some collonista snails, a tiny feather duster, some foramina...whatsits and a couple other I don't know whats! I hope some of it survives the cycle.

Tomorrow will be 1 week of cycling, though added more LR on Saturday might throw it off. Last check of my params was Friday, and my ammonia was up to 0.5 with 0 trites and trates. My pH was 8, which is lower than my tap and lower than my FW tanks, which all run 8.2. I thought all the salt in the water would make my pH way high and I was anticipating potential problems! lol

Question though, if my tank cycles and I remove the raw shrimp..will the system hold for a few weeks without adding fish or would I need to keep throwing fish food or something in there to feed the BB an ammonia source? I'm going on vacation in July for a week, and I was thinking adding fish after I get back might be better than adding them right before i go, so depending when the thing cycles...

EDIT: just tested params again:

SG= 1.026
pH = 8
Ammonia = 4
trites = 2
trates = 20
Ca = 480
KH = 21 dKH (375.9 ppm)
Phos = 2

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Pics! Still a little cloudy, but better! Constructive criticism appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3744598767.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	180921   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2799316475.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	180922  

Old 06-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great looking rock, nice scape
Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks! I am super happy with the rock and the service from PA was great too. I would definitely recommend both!

Tags
29 gallon, fowlr, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com