Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

The fish, when you get to them in the larger tank, is a whole other story. Some fish find a spot and stick to it. Others roam around freely. Some species can be kept with the same species while others can't. Aggresive is aggressive and if an aggressive fish wants to bully another fish of any kind, it will. There are a lot options regarding this subject. This in the inhab list in my tank..
Standard 55g undrilled tank(no sump/refugium)
260w p/c
emporer400(used occassionally to run carbon and other media)
AquaC skimmer(HOB)
Seaclone150 skimmer(HOB)
2 Sieo M1500's
approx. 65lbs LR(no other mechanical or biological filtration)
3"-4" aragonite sand bed
FISH:
2 false percs(2nd fish addition-hosting a bta)
3 Green Chromis(added directly after cycle-started with 6-these are often preferred to damsels)
1 Coral Beauty(3rd fish addition)
1 Yellow Tang(final fish addition)
1 Cleaner shrimp(added right after cycle)
1 Emerald green crab(added immediately after cycle)
about 30 different snails and hermits(mostly cerith snails and blue leg hermits- ther's a few oddballs in there)
I won't go down the coral list, it's too long and aren't sure if you want to eventually add corals anyway...Keep us posted and keep the progress pics coming, too....Good Luck!

Old 12-29-2005, 11:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Damsels will take a territory like you say, I had 7 yellow tail damsels in my 125 (lfs said it was a good idea)and they fought all the time and the only time they got together was when a new fish was put in the tank. They would scout it out and if it was smaller or a med size fish the damsels would then form a pack and beat the crap out of the new fish. These $2 fish cost me lots of $$$. The only time they got along was when they were kicking some fish tail.
I now have 2 left and they have split the 125 in half. They are nice looking fish but are nasty..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:15 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Wow, That's a horror story if I ever saw one!

Our's just don't seam that mean, but I guess we'll find out....

You can always force them to be humblized..... If you have a fish that is bigger and more aggressive than they are, put em in with that fish, let THEM get picked on.. Heh.

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 12:17 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to InxayonFinland
hahaha never thought of that.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Regular

You will be surprised at the damage damsels can inflict, sheer terror....some damsels can get to 4"-5" inches, increasing their chances to bully others. I agree with the pleasingness to the eye aspect. I have wanted a fiji damsel for a while, but have restrained due to above said stories. Forcing them would cause undue stress. This is where decisions have to be made as to what your long term goals are. Sure a damsel might be okay with other fish in a larger aquarium(I would reccommend a 90 or bigger), but if they are constantly fighting then they lose out on their natural behavior and any fish that get bullied don't get the chance to even call your tank "home". Check compatability charts and find out what others are keeoing with their damsels if you are set on keeping them. Any luck with finding a local aquarist to take them. Did you check to see if the lfs would just simply take them back?
Old 12-31-2005, 11:26 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
What should the pH be at for a Saltwater tank? According to the saltwater test kit it says it should be at 8.2. When i tested the water the other day everything was at 0ppm, except Ammonia which was at 0.25ppm, and the pH was at 8.0, Today I tested the water again and the Ammonia was at 0ppm, but the pH had dropped to 7.0, is this part of the cycling process, or should I be worried?

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:33 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

A normal Ph for a SW tank is about 8.0-8.3. It will vary from tank to tank and depending on the light and time of day. The most important factor in Ph is to eliminate dramatic swings. Fish can tolerate upper and lower ends of noramal Ph pretty well but they have problems with drastic changes in Ph. (one more reason to take your fish back until the cycle is complete). Ph during the cycle itself is really not too important. Once the cycle is complete, do a large (50%) water change. This will help get Ph up to where it needs to be and will also provide a buffer via the salf mix. It is hard to tell exactly where you are at in your cycle due to the fish being in the tank. Have you tested NO2 lately? In the meantime, try to point one or two powerheads towards the surface of the water, breaking it a little. This rippling on the water's surface will give you better gas exchange and may help get Ph up.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:45 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChad
I talked to the wife, she doesn't want to get rid of anything in our current tank... We will cycle the new tank with the raw shrimp Fishless methoid as you all have suggested, before transfering the damsels.

As I mentioned before, after we learn from thease 2 tanks.

I assume damsels and other aggressive fish if placed into a large enough tank will take pick a small territory and leave other fish alone?
-TheChad
Hello Chad, I respect your desire for a SW tank. However, not in a disrespectful way whatsoever, you are here talking to us and you wife isn't. Why confer with your wife about your hobby?

Powerheads serve the "H2O circulation and surface agitation" purpose, to name a couple. Remember, you're trying to simulate the ocean. Bubbles may add to surface agitation. But the surface agitation it makes doesn't compare to powerheads. It's peanuts.

If you and your wife likes damsels, keep them. At least you know the experiences of everyone of us with damsels. And not all are good experiences.

Also, the UGF is an inefficient filter. You know why? Because after less than 6 months, the space under the platform will be the collection area of sludge. That will kill your tank eventually. I humbly ask you to trust our advise because a lot of us had tried your path and ignored our peers here hoping to be the "exception". We're proven wrong 100% at a time.

Don't trust the LFS. Most of them don't know what they're saying. When they talk about "well, this thing here's been UGF for 20 years", remember it's a holding tank. Nothing lives there for 20 years. So don't be impresed by them. They always go "trust me..." or "I've had those for so many years and they coexist peacefully" or "UGFs are good filters..." or "We do this for a living, we know better than forums". Just remember, they are in the business of making money. We are in the business of compassion towards fish and towards other hobbyists. Good luck!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:28 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

AmaniQ, "Why confer with your wife about your hobby?"

Making a comment like this leads me to believe your single!!!
I need to check with the "BOSS" when making large purchases and we talk over what fish we want to get. A lot of spouses are into the hobby also, granted I do all the work but my wife enjoys that tank and looking at the fish. And keeping her into the hobby makes it easier getting the toys I want.
And after being into this for a few years now she wants me to get a larger tank for my fowlr... Thats right she said larger... 8O 8O :P

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaham358
AmaniQ, "Why confer with your wife about your hobby?"

Making a comment like this leads me to believe your single!!!
I need to check with the "BOSS" when making large purchases and we talk over what fish we want to get. A lot of spouses are into the hobby also, granted I do all the work but my wife enjoys that tank and looking at the fish. And keeping her into the hobby makes it easier getting the toys I want.
And after being into this for a few years now she wants me to get a larger tank for my fowlr... Thats right she said larger... 8O 8O :P
Hahaha! I used to be like that, you know, taking her to the LFS with me and browsing for stuff. We had a lot of fun. However, the more she sees how much those SW fish are, the more she's concerned everytime I go buy stuff. The less she's aware of the prices, the easier it is to sneak in stuff. She can't complain about my hobby though because she is a mall-a-holic. Blackmail, anyone?

I used to overstock my tank. She loved the porcupine puffer, the Cow fish, the yellow tail damsels, and the white spotted puffer. She didn't want to give them up. So I told her that it has to happen or else they'll die. Then I assured her that better stuff that would fit the tank will come along since I will get store credit. She liked the new stuff instead. It's that easy, boys.

Seaham, your approach is great! I hope you played it hard to get first, you know. Kinda like, pausing and thinking first about it when she mentioned getting a bigger tank. Oh that would've been hilarious.

Seaham's wife: "Honey, we should get a larger tank"

Lucky Seaham looking away, thinking: "Hmm....You think?....Should we?....That would be a good idea but.....Are you sure?....OK, if that's what YOU want"

:P

Tags
29 gallon, setup, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com